UARB Website Not for Linux?

David Murdoch-2
On my Linux system using Chrome I went to view some documents at the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board website, specifically for Matter Number M09777.

I went to the Public Documents database https://uarb.novascotia.ca/fmi/webd/UARB15 and entered M09777 which then lists a bunch of items with links.

But the item links do not function on my Linux system using Chrome but they do in Chrome on my wife's Windows 10 box.

UARB will send me any documents I want but I'd like to help myself from my Linux system.

What is happening here? Why does this government site have links that are not universally accessible? Is it a Windows thing?

Thanks for your attention.

David Murdoch

--
David Murdoch
   East River, Nova Scotia Phone: (902) 277-0766

Re: UARB Website Not for Linux?

herb Theriault-2
On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 09:41, David Murdoch <[hidden email]> wrote:
M09777

From the most recent Chrome (in Ubuntu 20.04) It didn't work for me until I applied a user agent swticher plugin. Selected IE11, then I was able to download files.

Insert rant here about government, and archaic closed systems...

Re: UARB Website Not for Linux?

Joel Maxwell
That site also uses JavaScipt to prevent right-clicking, and other
surface measures. JavaScript is enforced too, so you only see a scant
warning instead of typical page content when you turn off JavaScript.

Just like with that year or two in Netflix history (after
WINE+Silverlight workarounds, but before full HTML5-based DRM) when you
also needed to spoof Chrome/Chromium using that switcher plugin, the
stereotype is that we use Linux to steal stuff while we huddle - hoodie
donned - in coffee-shop corners with black-shelled laptops covered in
large stickers at our print-scorched fingertips.

Which is a rather odd impression since most distributions we use - and
even core software - fail to come with a price tag to begin with while
what is allowed/acceptable are Operating Systems and software that are
rampantly pirated in the consumer space (if it weren't for the
Microsoft tax on new PC's - even when Windows is not installed once out
the shop door - Microsoft would see almost no money coming in from the
home PC user).

But that's just my nickels worth.

Joel Maxwell