Tonight's social (April 1st)

Joel Maxuel
I have heard a couple regrets regarding tonight's social gathering.  I will be present in any event; if anyone else plans to be there as well, feel free to reply as such.  Thanks.

Re: Tonight's social (April 1st)

Oliver Doepner
Hi Joel,

Is it still happening at the Uncommon Grounds at 6pm?

If you are planning to be there, I will show up at 7pm.

Thanks
Oliver

On 4/1/19, Joel Maxuel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have heard a couple regrets regarding tonight's social gathering.  I will
> be present in any event; if anyone else plans to be there as well, feel
> free to reply as such.  Thanks.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Joel Maxuel
>
> "One should strive to achieve, not sit in bitter regret."
>  - Ronan Harris / Mark Jackson

Oliver Doepner
http://odoepner.github.io/

Re: Tonight's social (April 1st)

Oliver Doepner

I am on my way now. Will be there in 15 mins.

Joel, I hope this will be ok for you.
Uncommon Grounds, right?

Do they have any fair-trade organic coffee?
I hope so.

See you
Oliver

--
Sent from: http://nslug.996319.n3.nabble.com/

Re: Tonight's social (April 1st)

Apologizes, only seeing these emails now.  I gave up around the 5:30 to 6PM time frame as I did not realize how exhausted I was.

Ended up in bed before 7PM.On Apr 1, 2019 5:44 PM, Oliver Doepner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Joel,
>
> Is it still happening at the Uncommon Grounds at 6pm?
>
> If you are planning to be there, I will show up at 7pm.
>
> Thanks
> Oliver
>
> On 4/1/19, Joel Maxuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have heard a couple regrets regarding tonight's social gathering.  I will
> > be present in any event; if anyone else plans to be there as well, feel
> > free to reply as such.  Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Joel Maxuel
> >
> > "One should strive to achieve, not sit in bitter regret."
> >  - Ronan Harris / Mark Jackson

> Oliver Doepner
> http://odoepner.github.io/

Re: Tonight's social (April 1st)

Oliver Doepner
Makes sense and I was actually arriving there late, so no worries.

And I realized they don't have any fair-trade organic coffee options
anymore. So I don't want to frequent that joint ("Uncommon Grounds")
anymore.

Maybe time to find a better place?

On 4/2/19, Joel Maxuel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apologizes, only seeing these emails now.  I gave up around the 5:30 to 6PM
> time frame as I did not realize how exhausted I was.
>
> Ended up in bed before 7PM.On Apr 1, 2019 5:44 PM, Oliver Doepner
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Joel,
>>
>> Is it still happening at the Uncommon Grounds at 6pm?
>>
>> If you are planning to be there, I will show up at 7pm.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Oliver
>>
>> On 4/1/19, Joel Maxuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I have heard a couple regrets regarding tonight's social gathering.  I
>> > will
>> > be present in any event; if anyone else plans to be there as well, feel
>> > free to reply as such.  Thanks.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Cheers,
>> > Joel Maxuel
>> >
>> > "One should strive to achieve, not sit in bitter regret."
>> >  - Ronan Harris / Mark Jackson
>> >

>> --
>> --
>> Oliver Doepner
>> http://odoepner.github.io/

Oliver Doepner
http://odoepner.github.io/

Re: Tonight's social (April 1st)

Joel Maxuel
It could be.

I have heard concerns about location (and time) past few years. From shoddy wifi and sparse/unreliable outlets to limited/undesired food/drink options.  Also - at least for me - having it downtown puts a strong emphasis on meeting time (does not make sense for me to leave downtown after work to come back down a couple hours later) and I remember at least another nSLUG member who preferred the earlier time frame due to location between work and home.

Also, there are a few months each year where that Monday falls on another meeting conflict.  Which is another suggestion for an earlier time, but that also limits the location as my conflicting meeting is on Dal (Studley) campus (so to attend both, they need to be physically close to each other).

FWIW, I don't want to mess with the "first Monday of the month (or Monday after if first is a holiday)" formula.

Is it time to run a poll (like with Dudle) to gather the barriers to attending (and ways to resolve) for those who are interested in attending?

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 8:04 AM Oliver Doepner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Makes sense and I was actually arriving there late, so no worries.

And I realized they don't have any fair-trade organic coffee options
anymore. So I don't want to frequent that joint ("Uncommon Grounds")
anymore.

Maybe time to find a better place?

On 4/2/19, Joel Maxuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Apologizes, only seeing these emails now.  I gave up around the 5:30 to 6PM
> time frame as I did not realize how exhausted I was.
>
> Ended up in bed before 7PM.On Apr 1, 2019 5:44 PM, Oliver Doepner
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Joel,
>>
>> Is it still happening at the Uncommon Grounds at 6pm?
>>
>> If you are planning to be there, I will show up at 7pm.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Oliver
>>
>> On 4/1/19, Joel Maxuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I have heard a couple regrets regarding tonight's social gathering.  I
>> > will
>> > be present in any event; if anyone else plans to be there as well, feel
>> > free to reply as such.  Thanks.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Cheers,
>> > Joel Maxuel
>> >
>> > "One should strive to achieve, not sit in bitter regret."
>> >  - Ronan Harris / Mark Jackson
>> >

>> --
>> --
>> Oliver Doepner
>> http://odoepner.github.io/

Oliver Doepner
http://odoepner.github.io/

Re: Tonight's social (April 1st)

Oliver Doepner
+1 for doing a poll

--
Oliver Doepner
http://odoepner.github.io/

Re: Tonight's social (April 1st)

Oliver Doepner
Questions to the group (only answer what you feel comfortable with):

0) Where are you located?

1) Are you interested at all in having monthly meetings?

2) What is your ideal expectation from those meetings?
    (i.e. what kinds of activities would interest you)

3) What about a more decentralized approach where regional groups of
people meet at places that are not just in Halifax?

4) How about having (reasonably sized) meetings at somebody's home to
cut costs and enable us to bing/have the drinks and snacks we like? I
can imagine hosting a meeting every few months at my home in Halifax
Fairview, for example.

On 4/2/19, Oliver Doepner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1 for doing a poll
>

> --
> Oliver Doepner
> http://odoepner.github.io/

Oliver Doepner
http://odoepner.github.io/

Re: Tonight's social (April 1st)

Oliver Doepner
Typo: "bing" => "bring" (and not "binge"!)  :D

Oliver Doepner
http://odoepner.github.io/

Re: Poll

Richard Bonner

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019, Oliver Doepner wrote:

0) Where are you located?

***   Dartmouth

1) Are you interested at all in having monthly meetings?

***   Yes.

    A variable day would help me. I rarely seem to be free the first
Monday of every month.  )-:

2) What is your ideal expectation from those meetings?
     (i.e. what kinds of activities would interest you)

***  Some social, some personal help, but I would like more lectures.

3) What about a more decentralized approach where regional groups of
people meet at places that are not just in Halifax?

***   Almost anywhere other than a &*^% coffee shop!

4) How about having (reasonably sized) meetings at somebody's home to
cut costs and enable us to bing/have the drinks and snacks we like? I
can imagine hosting a meeting every few months at my home in Halifax
Fairview, for example.

***   I am open to that. I also have a small Boardroom at my lighting
shop in Dartmouth that we could use for free.

   Richard Bonner

Re: Tonight's social (April 1st)

I have set up a Dudle to cover a part of these questions (remaining can be added to the comments).

This poll should still be able to operate in Lynx 2.8 (HTTPS is enforced, but the functionality of the site has not changed since our last poll).  IMPORTANT NOTE: The comments section is separate from the poll (submit one before working on the other to avoid loss of work).

For brevity (long poll as it is), I chose only a small handful of off-peninsula/"Hal" locations (including "HRM Chebucto" for Fairview/Clayton Park/areas-until-St-Margarets-Bay).  For the time blocks, choose the half-hour segments (title represents the beginning of the time frame), and last three options cover Q's 4 & (roughly) 3.

Since this list does get archived on Nabble, the Dudle may be a better vehicle for some answers (that can be difficult to find after a few months - is in Dudle "deletes" dormant polls) than to a list that is archived and searchable.

A recap of the questions, as I would add one more:

0) Where are you located?

1) Are you interested at all in having monthly meetings?

2) What is your ideal expectation from those meetings?
    (i.e. what kinds of activities would interest you)

3) What about a more decentralized approach where regional groups of
people meet at places that are not just in Halifax?

4) How about having (reasonably sized) meetings at somebody's home to
cut costs and enable us to bring/have the drinks and snacks we like?

5) Any barriers you may face that can limit yourself (or someone you may know) from attending?

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 5:30 PM Oliver Doepner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Questions to the group (only answer what you feel comfortable with):

0) Where are you located?

1) Are you interested at all in having monthly meetings?

2) What is your ideal expectation from those meetings?
    (i.e. what kinds of activities would interest you)

3) What about a more decentralized approach where regional groups of
people meet at places that are not just in Halifax?

4) How about having (reasonably sized) meetings at somebody's home to
cut costs and enable us to bring/have the drinks and snacks we like? I
can imagine hosting a meeting every few months at my home in Halifax
Fairview, for example.

On 4/2/19, Oliver Doepner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1 for doing a poll
>

> --
> Oliver Doepner
> http://odoepner.github.io/

Oliver Doepner
http://odoepner.github.io/

Re: Tonight's social (April 1st)

Ben Armstrong-2
re. questions to the group in brief:

0) Timberlea
1) As is evident by my prolonged absence, my interest has been low for quite a while, though if circumstances change (not just the group dynamic, but also in large part personal circumstances), my interest/motivation might be rekindled. See 5.
2) I primarily seek a positive social experience, i.e. simply staying connected to the local Linux-using community is something I value, though currently lower on my list than many other things. See 5.
3) The Keshen Goodman library / Clayton Park Sobeys common room are a couple of "geographically dispersed" locations that might work for me to occasionally attend.
4) In someone's home sounds nice, though that might have all the problems for me pointed out in 5 below, and in some ways might exacerbate the problem, i.e. could mean an even longer transit time / more comforts of a home setting might make us lose track of time which I find in short supply ;)
5) Quite simply, time taken away from spending it on my other interests / involvements & family is too high a barrier for me to attend at all these days. A Discord call every once in a while might be something I could do with you all (addresses point 3 in a different way).

Ben

On 2019-04-02 5:30 p.m., Oliver Doepner wrote:
> Questions to the group (only answer what you feel comfortable with):
>
> 0) Where are you located?

0)    North Dartmouth -Albro Lake area, about 5 minutes drive from
either MacDonald bridge or McKay bridge.

> 1) Are you interested at all in having monthly meetings?
1) I am interested in having monthly meetings, either social or Technical.

> 2) What is your ideal expectation from those meetings?
>      (i.e. what kinds of activities would interest you)
2) At almost every meeting I  learn something new, or hear about
something interesting which prompts me to research it further.  At my
first nSLUG meeting I arrived with a new Win7 laptop computer, and was
aided in installing Ubuntu during the meeting.  Perhaps we should
publicize a meeting inviting those considering a new computer, or those
who might be interested in extending the life of an old one, to come and
see what Linux has to offer.

> 3) What about a more decentralized approach where regional groups of
> people meet at places that are not just in Halifax?
3) In Dartmouth, Sobeys on Wyse Road, the Alderney Drive or North
Dartmouth Library could all provide accessible facilities. Moreover,
each of those locations is serviced by Metro Transit, for those without
access to other transportation.
> 4) How about having (reasonably sized) meetings at somebody's home to
> cut costs and enable us to bing/have the drinks and snacks we like? I
> can imagine hosting a meeting every few months at my home in Halifax
> Fairview, for example.

4) Someone's home could be good, but I would feel uncomfortable not to
be able to reciprocate -we have a small house, with no area which would
be appropriate for a group.

> On 4/2/19, Oliver Doepner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1 for doing a poll
>>

>> --
>> Oliver Doepner
>> http://odoepner.github.io/

[NSLUG] Re: Tonight's social (April 1st)

Mike Spencer

Looked at the on-line poll, couldn't make a lot of sense of it.

0) Where are you located?

    South Shore, ca. 1hr40min from Hfx.  I've come to meets when I
    happen to be in town at the right time or to meet a specific
    person f2f.

1) Are you interested at all in having monthly meetings?

    Interested, yes.  If they were in Bridgewater or Lunenburg I'd be
    a regular.  But 3+ hours of driving plus city traffic is a big
    deterrent.  Closure of Quinpool will make it more so.

2) What is your ideal expectation from those meetings?
    (i.e. what kinds of activities would interest you)

    I enjoy the social kaffeklatsches and appreciate the formal
    presentations.  Just occasion to talk to people who know about
    Linux and the internet is good.  The coffee shop venue isn't
    wonderful but meets without broadband net access (as, say, at my
    house) wouldn't be so good.

3) What about a more decentralized approach where regional groups of
people meet at places that are not just in Halifax?

    Central Halifax (or perhaps Bedford) is best for me if it's to be
    in the metro area.  A "regional" meet would be fine.  One of the
    people at game company in Lunenburg organized a couple of meets
    several years ago at a Bridgewater school but either lost interest
    himself, got too busy or found lack of ongoing interest from
    others.  I don't know how many Linux users (or interested
    potential converts) there are in the area -- don't know *any*
    personally.

4) How about having (reasonably sized) meetings at somebody's home to
cut costs and enable us to bring/have the drinks and snacks we like? I
can imagine hosting a meeting every few months at my home in Halifax
Fairview, for example.

    Sounds doable, depending on the generosity of people to host it.
    I'd need a map to know where Fairview is. :-o

The Maritime Blacksmiths have the same problem.  With active smiths in
Cape Breton, eastern New Brunswick, South Shore, North Shore &
Valley as well as the Hfx area, it's an effort for some to get to
meets.  Almost all are hosted by members who have a forge shop but
it's become something of a project to host 20 to 40 people for a day
-- parking and lunch being among the difficulties.  (The host has to
have a forge & anvil but at least we don't need broadband and those of
us who live where coal smoke won't bother neighbors don't have it.)

You're welcome here one or two at a time.  Call ahead, bring your cell
phone that acts as a wifi access point.  Free coffee. :-)

--
Michael Spencer                  Nova Scotia, Canada       .~.
                                                           /V\

Re: nSLUG New Meeting Place?

Richard Bonner

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019, Oliver Doepner wrote:

> ...I don't want to frequent that joint ("Uncommon Grounds") anymore.

Maybe time to find a better place?

***   I vote for that. Coffee shops just don't work for me for these
kinds of meetings. I suggest a community centre or grocery store room.

  Richard