Taking desktop and monitor on airline

D G Teed-2

This isn't exactly a Linux issue, but there is possibly someone here with the experience or a suggestion.

My son is going to a gaming tournament in Montreal. He will need to bring along a tower system and monitor.  Without breaking the bank, what is a good way to transport this as checked luggage?  The tower is average size for a gaming system - 8.3x18.3x18.5 inches, and the monitor is 24 inch LCD.  I'm thinking hard shell luggage bag with some clothes wrapped around it, times two.

Re: Taking desktop and monitor on airline

Bill Morrow
I have transported monitors as checked luggage by cladding their original box in styrofoam insulation with no damage. After a couple of trips, they were stolen somewhere between our trade show booth and the debarking luggage carousel. Still cheaper than renting them onsite.

For the tower, I would take out the hard drive and carry it.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 9:54 AM D G Teed <[hidden email]> wrote:

This isn't exactly a Linux issue, but there is possibly someone here with the experience or a suggestion.

My son is going to a gaming tournament in Montreal. He will need to bring along a tower system and monitor.  Without breaking the bank, what is a good way to transport this as checked luggage?  The tower is average size for a gaming system - 8.3x18.3x18.5 inches, and the monitor is 24 inch LCD.  I'm thinking hard shell luggage bag with some clothes wrapped around it, times two.

Re: Taking desktop and monitor on airline

Frank Geitzler

I am not sure about the size of the physical dimensions of the monitor or whether the base could be removed to pack it 'flatter'.   I also don't know about the size restrictions of the specific airline.   With those limits in mind, however, it might be possible to borrow (or buy at Value Village or Salvation Army...) a small soft suitcase which would fit the monitor, and which could be carried on.

I agree that taking out the hard drive and carrying it would be the best approach as well.

Frank Geitzler

Re: Taking desktop and monitor on airline

Richard Bonner

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019, Bill Morrow wrote:

> I have transported monitors as checked luggage by cladding their original
> box in styrofoam insulation with no damage. After a couple of trips, they
> were stolen somewhere between our trade show booth and the debarking
> luggage carousel.

***   One is better off to pack valuable items in toilet tank boxes.
No one will steal it.  (-:

> For the tower, I would take out the hard drive and carry it.

***   Best advice ever!

  Richard

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 5:07 PM Richard Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019, Bill Morrow wrote:

> I have transported monitors as checked luggage by cladding their original
> box in styrofoam insulation with no damage. After a couple of trips, they
> were stolen somewhere between our trade show booth and the debarking
> luggage carousel.

***   One is better off to pack valuable items in toilet tank boxes.
No one will steal it.  (-:

Ha! Good idea. I think they were liberated at the trade show, by the people we hired to dismantle our booth. Never made it to the airport.

Re: Taking desktop and monitor on airline

Richard Bonner

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019, Bill Morrow wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 5:07 PM Richard Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ***   One is better off to pack valuable items in toilet tank boxes.
>> No one will steal it.  (-:
>>
> Ha! Good idea. I think they were liberated at the trade show, by the
> people we hired to dismantle our booth. Never made it to the
> airport.

***   Oh. Sorry to hear that.

  Richard