Software Development problem

Frank Geitzler
My computer experience in the past has largely been in System
Development on an IBM mainframe, and I retired about 20 years ago.
About that time I wrote several applications with Visual Foxpro, for
which Microsoft dropped support quite a few years ago.  I was hoping to
write a small application for my own use, which could interact between
my laptop (running Ubuntu 18.04LTS) and an Android tablet, using a
simple web server.

I have been working my way through an old 'teach-yourself Python' book
called 'Head First Python' in order to learn a new language. It has a
section on setting up a simple web server in Python, and a section on
mobile app development for Android.  I have attempted to follow the book
in downloading the Software Development Kit (SDK) and install it, and to
configure it to develop code for an Android device -I have a Phoenix
tablet which runs Android 4.4.2.

The instructions required that I install Java, and I did so using
Synaptic, which installed it near the right end of the $PATH.  In my
terminal window I entered commands to set up the system variable for my
session as:
     JAVA_HOME='/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64'

and to redefine the $PATH for the same session as:

PATH=/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin

When I attempt to open the Android Virtual Manager (avdmanager) to
define my Android Virtual Device (AVD) to the development system, I
receive a series of error messages, which I show in the attached 'log'.
Incidentally, I edited the log, to comment the sequence of commands used
to set the $PATH for my session, set the variable  $JAVA_HOME, and to
run the avdmanager to define the required 'virtual device'.

I have not used Java before, and may have installed it incorrectly or
installed conflicting versions, but it is required if I wish to continue
with this development route.  At first I had problems with defining the
$JAVA_HOME correctly, and it may still be wrong.

Has anyone in either club any experience with this SDK, or can someone
suggest what these errors indicate?  I am in over my head, here.

avdmanager_log3.txt (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Software Development problem

Robert McKay
Maybe try an older version of the JDK - maybe 8... would also recommend
using the oracle one rather than openjdk, although it may work too.

Rob

On 2018-10-13 19:33, Frank Geitzler wrote:
> My computer experience in the past has largely been in System
> Development on an IBM mainframe, and I retired about 20 years ago.
> About that time I wrote several applications with Visual Foxpro, for
> which Microsoft dropped support quite a few years ago.  I was hoping
> to write a small application for my own use, which could interact
> between my laptop (running Ubuntu 18.04LTS) and an Android tablet,
> using a simple web server.
>
> I have been working my way through an old 'teach-yourself Python' book
> called 'Head First Python' in order to learn a new language. It has a
> section on setting up a simple web server in Python, and a section on
> mobile app development for Android.  I have attempted to follow the
> book in downloading the Software Development Kit (SDK) and install it,
> and to configure it to develop code for an Android device -I have a
> Phoenix tablet which runs Android 4.4.2.
>
> The instructions required that I install Java, and I did so using
> Synaptic, which installed it near the right end of the $PATH.  In my
> terminal window I entered commands to set up the system variable for
> my session as:
>     JAVA_HOME='/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64'
>
> and to redefine the $PATH for the same session as:
>
> PATH=/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin
>
> When I attempt to open the Android Virtual Manager (avdmanager) to
> define my Android Virtual Device (AVD) to the development system, I
> receive a series of error messages, which I show in the attached
> 'log'.  Incidentally, I edited the log, to comment the sequence of
> commands used to set the $PATH for my session, set the variable
> $JAVA_HOME, and to run the avdmanager to define the required 'virtual
> device'.
>
> I have not used Java before, and may have installed it incorrectly or
> installed conflicting versions, but it is required if I wish to
> continue with this development route.  At first I had problems with
> defining the $JAVA_HOME correctly, and it may still be wrong.
>
> Has anyone in either club any experience with this SDK, or can someone
> suggest what these errors indicate?  I am in over my head, here.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Frank Geitzler

Re: Software Development problem

Rory-9
I'm late to the game here but in case you haven't sorted this out yet:
the problem isn't with the version of java but with missing java
extension frameworks.  The XmlSchema package it is looking for is part
of JAXB which isn't baked into the base JDK.

In ubuntu search for packages with libjaxb in the name.