Social September 9th?

Joel Maxuel
Good morning,

With our summer hiatus drawing to a close, according to the website our next social is for September 9th (as the 2nd is a holiday).  Wondering if we should extend the hiatus to September end as well (at least for this year).  Given that I would (likely) have a meeting to attend partway through, I would be in favour of this.

It seems apparent that nSLUG is at a point where having fixed-date socials at a consistent area (meant to allow/encourage members to drop in with the need to consult the list first), has lost its intent and worked counter to that (with dwindling attendance, there becomes an understanding of such and the vicious cycle continues).

This was said back in the spring, but maybe we do need to ad-hoc future meets to make them more meaningful.  The big risk for that is they fall off the radar (no one announces any for several months, and the whole idea is forgotten about), but this is happening to the other nSLUG events anyway, albeit in a different fashion.

What are people's thoughts on this? Should we move to an ad-hoc schedule with the announcer choosing the logistics?

Re: Social September 9th?

Richard Bonner

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019, Joel Maxuel wrote:

> With our summer hiatus drawing to a close, according to the website our
> next social is for September 9th (as the 2nd is a holiday).

***   I will be mopping up from Halifax Fringe.

(Snip)

> but maybe we do need to ad-hoc future meets to make them more
> meaningful.  The big risk for that is they fall off the radar (no
> one announces any for several months, and the whole idea is
> forgotten about), but this is happening to the other nSLUG events
> anyway, albeit in a different fashion.
>
> What are people's thoughts on this?

***   My complaint is having meetings in a coffee shop is annoying --
small tables, noise, not enough outlets. No video projection.

    I would be more likely to attend if we had a better place to meet
and if the meetings were moved to second Mondays.

  Richard

Re: Social September 9th?

Thanks, Joel.  I haven't been able to attend the last few NSLUG meetings, because my night vision has deteriorated.  I am awaiting cataract surgery, and hope that will improve things.  Soon I will have to take a few months off from HCC (the Halifax Computer Club) as well, but at present I am able to eat supper at home, and travel to Halifax after the suppertime traffic settles down.

We realize that not everyone in NSLUG can make it to the HCC meetings, perhaps because of the night on which it is scheduled, or other commitments.  We would appreciate hearing from them, to find out if there is anything we can do to accommodate them -such as booking meetings for a different evening, or encouraging them to post to HCC as well as NSLUG when they have information or problems which could be of interest to others.  As I continue to point out, guests are welcome at HCC, and we welcome new members.

Frank Geitzler

Re: Social September 9th?

Oliver Doepner
Hi all,

I am ok with moving to adhoc gatherings.

Thanks
Oliver

On 8/30/19, Frank Geitzler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Joel.  I haven't been able to attend the last few NSLUG
> meetings, because my night vision has deteriorated.  I am awaiting
> cataract surgery, and hope that will improve things.  Soon I will have
> to take a few months off from HCC (the Halifax Computer Club) as well,
> but at present I am able to eat supper at home, and travel to Halifax
> after the suppertime traffic settles down.
>
> We realize that not everyone in NSLUG can make it to the HCC meetings,
> perhaps because of the night on which it is scheduled, or other
> commitments.  We would appreciate hearing from them, to find out if
> there is anything we can do to accommodate them -such as booking
> meetings for a different evening, or encouraging them to post to HCC as
> well as NSLUG when they have information or problems which could be of
> interest to others.  As I continue to point out, guests are welcome at
> HCC, and we welcome new members.
>
> Frank Geitzler
>
> On 2019-08-30 8:19 a.m., Joel Maxuel wrote:
>> Good morning,
>>
>> With our summer hiatus drawing to a close, according to the website
>> our next social is for September 9th (as the 2nd is a holiday).
>> Wondering if we should extend the hiatus to September end as well (at
>> least for this year).  Given that I would (likely) have a meeting to
>> attend partway through, I would be in favour of this.
>>
>> It seems apparent that nSLUG is at a point where having fixed-date
>> socials at a consistent area (meant to allow/encourage members to drop
>> in with the need to consult the list first), has lost its intent and
>> worked counter to that (with dwindling attendance, there becomes an
>> understanding of such and the vicious cycle continues).
>>
>> This was said back in the spring, but maybe we do need to ad-hoc
>> future meets to make them more meaningful.  The big risk for that is
>> they fall off the radar (no one announces any for several months, and
>> the whole idea is forgotten about), but this is happening to the other
>> nSLUG events anyway, albeit in a different fashion.
>>
>> What are people's thoughts on this? Should we move to an ad-hoc
>> schedule with the announcer choosing the logistics?
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Joel Maxuel
>>
>> "One should strive to achieve, not sit in bitter regret."
>>  - Ronan Harris / Mark Jackson

Oliver Doepner
http://odoepner.github.io/