Server operations in progress

Ben Armstrong
Hi. I'm doing upgrades on the nslug server this morning which will cause
brief unavailability of services. Just dropping a note here in case
anyone notices. I expect to be done before anyone actually needs the
system for anything. I'll send an additional note when I'm all done.

Ben

Re: Server operations in progress

Ben Armstrong
On 06/02/18 06:18 AM, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> Hi. I'm doing upgrades on the nslug server this morning which will cause
> brief unavailability of services. Just dropping a note here in case
> anyone notices. I expect to be done before anyone actually needs the
> system for anything. I'll send an additional note when I'm all done.

I've had to set this aside as I enter into my workday, as some of the
configuration for our xen guest needs to change, and that's outside of
my control. I've dropped a note to Rob McKay to address this. Meanwhile,
the server is up and web & mailing list are functional. There may be
further service interruptions later as we finish the work. There will
not be separate announcements for those. I'll send one final email when
everything is done.

Ben

Re: Server operations in progress

Ben Armstrong
On 06/02/18 06:18 AM, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> Hi. I'm doing upgrades on the nslug server this morning which will cause
> brief unavailability of services. Just dropping a note here in case
> anyone notices. I expect to be done before anyone actually needs the
> system for anything. I'll send an additional note when I'm all done.

I've had to set this aside as I enter into my workday, as some of the
configuration for our xen guest needs to change, and that's outside of
my control. I've dropped a note to Rob McKay to address this. Meanwhile,
the server is up and web & mailing list are functional. There may be
further service interruptions later as we finish the work. There will
not be separate announcements for those. I'll send one final email when
everything is done.

Ben

Re: Server operations in progress

Ben Armstrong
Following up on this item: between me and Joel, we put in several hours on Tuesday working on the mail server & the mailing list.

Additionally, I upgraded the OS in two steps (one release at a time) from Wheezy up to Stretch (Debian 9.3). Due to how our virtual host is set up, there is a final step that remains unfinished, though, which requires a visit to the colo facility by Rob McKay (anticipated today) and a reboot to fix.

Meanwhile, what I said below still applies. All services are presently available and functioning properly, but further unannounced service outages (hopefully brief) are possible today, while we wrap up the upgrades.

Ben