Routers and Bell

francis picabia
Hello,

A small subject out of Linux, although many routers are under Linux ...

I was lucky to use an Asus router instead of the supplied Actiontec R1000H Bell. It worked well for several years.

Now, the Asus router will not get an IP address on the WAN. The solution stopped working one afternoon recently.

Two other new routers were purchased and both failed to connect to the WAN. One was
one upper end Asus, and the other a top end Netgear.

When the Actiontec router is activated, everything works.

The Bell fiber optic router was unplugged from the UPS for 2 minutes.
MAC cloning of the actiontec was complete.
The configuration of the VLAN tag of 35 has been done.
Firmware updates are complete
Factory resets are performed.

Nothing helped and the new routers returned to the store.

I planned to put the service up to Home Hub 3000.

Are people having trouble with Bell and the third party router?

Re: Routers and Bell

Stevan Hulan
Bell 3000 router has been soild for me.
I get 120%of the speed I pay for and 1ms latency. I understand the security of having your own router but it works for my home network supporting three switches and eight systems
Cheers,
Steve

On Thu., Aug. 1, 2019, 2:44 p.m. francis picabia, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Have you probed your exposure since viewing the Shields Up Probe on grc.com?  Or similar probe?

Does it show more open than expected for your settings?

Performance is not the problem, but security.  This is how I ask for stories on third party router.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 4:21 PM Stevan Hulan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Looks good to me.
All closed or stealth. (I did a full list as well) As it should be.
Steve

On Fri., Aug. 2, 2019, 1:21 p.m. francis picabia, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

George N. White III

On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 at 13:28, Stevan Hulan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looks good to me.
All closed or stealth. (I did a full list as well) As it should be.
Steve

What you can't see are the side channels used for provisioning the modem., see:  A Case Study in Practical Security of Cable Networks

Abstract.  Cable networks are complex systems that have evolved over years and in which new features like Internet access and Voice over IP (VoIP) have been integrated. We argue that threat models must evolve together with such systems and show that inadequate threat models can be used to explain known and unknown vulnerabilities in today’s cable networks. We do this by demonstrating an attack on the DOCSIS provisioning standard in cable networks. By exploiting this weakness,an attacker can hijack VoIP accounts. We also show how to mitigate the attack.

Fiber to the home (FTTH) also uses DOCSIS provisioning.   As a customer you only see the IP traffic, so there are many possibilities for data to move in ways you can't detect.
I think current "best practice" is to configure the modem as a bridge and connect your own router, either a high-end commercial unit or a small BSD or linux firewall box.

It is now apparent that many security in many large organizations is inadequate, so you assume that Bell Aliant won't get hacked.  One reason poor security has become
SOP for business is a severe shortage of people with the necessary IT skills.   One result is that businesses have been revising "Terms and Conditions" documents to
require users to accept that using the business's web sites and apps could result in compromise of their devices.    Search for the phrase: "THE USE OF THE APPLICATION, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE BROWSING AND DOWNLOADING OF ANY INFORMATION, WILL BE FREE OF ANY VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, WORMS OR OTHER DESTRUCTIVE, INTRUSIVE OR DISRUPTIVE COMPONENT" and you will find terms of service for Loblaws and many financial institutions.

[...]

Now I have had the new equipment installed.  I can see why no answers.  The fibre cable
goes to the Home Hub 3000 router.  No opportunities to replace it with usual router.

Someone documented how, but it is a hardware hack, not plug in with RJ45 component.

A second firewall could be added.  But no help if Bell equipment hacked with exploit and they have man in middle position.

Ports are closed, so this is better than actiontec.

If anyone uses Eastlink, I am curious if third party routers are still possible?
I might go back to them again if the gamer leaves the house - ha ha.

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 2:27 PM francis picabia <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Gerald Ruderman
I have a Turris Omnia router on Eastlink. Eastlink modem is just a few months old.

. . . .

--
Gerald

Re: Routers and Bell

Joel Maxuel
Not sure if Eastlink still offers a split-hardware setup.  I have seen homes (Eastlink customers) with an all-in-one cable/router/wifi box before, even back when I was still a customer with them (I used the same Motorola convertor for that decade).

I can say that the cable-internet resellers still use a dedicated cable box, be it leased (CityWide) or BYO (Netfox) using DOCSIS 3.x (Typically an Arris or Technicolor product).

Side note, I am looking to set up an isolated network (for hardware that should not see a route to the internet).  Points for (weighted in %):

- Can flash DDWRT to it (50%)
- Common for surplus (25%)
- Supports gigabit ethernet (20%)
- Has Wifi functionality (5%)