Re: The October 24 meeting about web development (Andy)

Re: The October 24 meeting about web development (Andy)

Richard Bonner

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018, Andrew Cornwall wrote:

> Oliver is going to talk about website development I asked Frank how
> many HCC members have or maintain websites? His answer was there are
> many
(Snip)

> it would be interesting to learn of the member website URLs so we
> could get a glimpse of them.
(Snip)

***   My websites are:

Business:             http://AIEL.chebucto.biz/
Personal:             http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/Profile.html
DOS:                  http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/
CEC:      http://CEC.chebucto.org/

    All are done with basic html coding. No Java, no Javascript, and no
Active X. The reason is to keep them completely text & handicapped
friendly, and to be assured that anyone on any platform with any
browser can access the content on those pages.

  Richard

Re: The October 24 meeting about web development (Andy)

Daniel MacKay-2
it would be interesting to learn of the member website URLs so we could get a glimpse of them.

Hm. here are some of the public sites:

My big project, an encyclopedia of gay life in Halifax, seventeen hundred pages, running in the Oddmuse Wiki engine. List of pages:

Plain HTML pages
* My personal page: http://bonmot.ca/~daniel/
* Pictures of the Shubenacadie Tree  http://bonmot.ca/~daniel/tree/
* SHINES Company website http://shinesenergy.com/
* Norval’s Company http://cefconsultants.ns.ca/

==Drupal Sites==
* Solar Nova Scotia (d8) http://solarns.ca/
* Wayves (d8) http://wayves.ca/
* LGBT Natives, “W2SA” (d8) http://w2sa.ca/
* Norval’s condo (d8): http://condominiummana.ca/
* LGBT 12-Step Gathering (“Roundup”) (d8) http://courageroundup.ca/

Re: The October 24 meeting about web development (Andy)

Joel Maxuel

Tried to keep aligned with HTML 4.01 transitional with this one, though the Twitter feed on a page made me use some HTML5 elements.

Very mixed bag on mobile unfortunately.  Something I may attempt to fix.

I also redid the nSLUG website a few months ago to a single page.

nslug.ns.ca

I have another site project in play for a nSLUG subdomain (one of my own boxes), but it would likely just be a "news feed" of system status.

BTW, is it possible to have an apache config to bind a virtual site to a specific non-standard port (https://localhost:8443) *and* to a directory layer on a standard port (https://localhost/service)?  Can that be (or want to be) in the same config file for that matter?

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 8:47 AM Daniel MacKay <[hidden email]> wrote:
it would be interesting to learn of the member website URLs so we could get a glimpse of them.

Hm. here are some of the public sites:

My big project, an encyclopedia of gay life in Halifax, seventeen hundred pages, running in the Oddmuse Wiki engine. List of pages:

Plain HTML pages
* My personal page: http://bonmot.ca/~daniel/
* Pictures of the Shubenacadie Tree  http://bonmot.ca/~daniel/tree/
* SHINES Company website http://shinesenergy.com/
* Norval’s Company http://cefconsultants.ns.ca/

==Drupal Sites==
* Solar Nova Scotia (d8) http://solarns.ca/
* Wayves (d8) http://wayves.ca/
* LGBT Natives, “W2SA” (d8) http://w2sa.ca/
* Norval’s condo (d8): http://condominiummana.ca/
* LGBT 12-Step Gathering (“Roundup”) (d8) http://courageroundup.ca/

The October 24 meeting about web development (Andy)

Mike Spencer

>> it would be interesting to learn of the member website URLs so we
>> could get a glimpse of them.

FWIW,  see .sig infra.

I put this up in, IIRC, 1994.  I was, AFAIK, the first blacksmith and
first blacksmithing web site on the net (for whatever that's
worth. :-)  Initial images were scanned from 8x10 B&W with a hand-held
scanner.

A few changes, gradual additions since then.  All hand-composed HTML,
no CSS, js or other active code, no ads or tracking.

Yes, there are probably some dead links and decade-old promises for
additions RSN that haven't appeared.

BTW, does anybody have a slide scanner that with an auto-feed?  To
sell or loan?  It appears that I missed the boat getting my slide
library -- ca 1,000 slides -- scanned and now they don't even make
scanners any more.  I have a slow manual-feed SCSI scanner plugged
into a older Linux box but the prospect of tediously feeding it is
intimidating.

--
Michael Spencer                  Nova Scotia, Canada       .~.
                                                           /V\

Re: The October 24 meeting about web development (Andy)

Joel Maxuel
I don't believe the boat has been missed, unless part of the requirement is to accommodate an interface other than USB or Bluetooth.

Hospitals still use these devices all the time, for example, and a quick search on Amazon (also for example) returns a fair-sized army.

Price did not improve all that well over time though ... one with a tray to facilitate that auto-feed still fetches for $300 or more.  Finding one of those older inkjet printers that can accommodate a good scanning head (and in turn be of a reasonable price) may be the more sensible option.

Maybe anyway.  I have personally yet to truly come across a demand for high-yield scanning (and I at one point scanned an entire trail-guide of some 80 pages - something that would not fit the use case of what you are looking for though, at least not without breaking the binding of the borrowed original).

Joel Maxuel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't believe the boat has been missed, unless part of the
> requirement is to accommodate an interface other than USB or
> Bluetooth.

Tnx Joel, but I'm guessing from the rest of your post that you're
thinking of flatbed scanning.  I have one of them that meets my
very occasional needs.

University professors, art college people, individual lecturers and
artists, various archives and the like have, in the past had huge 35mm
slide libraries for lecturing, teaching etc.  I talked to a friend --
fellow blacksmith as it happens -- at the Dal med school.  Turns out
that all those people eagerly launched into the digital age as soon as
it was feasible to do so, maybe 20 years ago.  Launched, did it all,
tidied up and have forgotten about slides and slide projectors.  And I
had figured I'd get around to it RSN.

Well, I do have a one-at-a-time slide scanner that works fine on Linux
with SANE.  But there are -- were -- scanners that would take a dozen
or two mounted slides and auto-feed them.  But I haven't turned one up
on Kijiji of word of mouth.

The last time I was asked to do a workshop that I though deserved some
graphic lead-in before hands on, maaybe 5 years ago, I said I'd need a
slide projector.  "I think we might be able to find one".

Huh.  Trailing edge of tech and all that.  Must go put some more wood
into the kitchen stove.  Chilly tonight. :-)

- Mike

--
Michael Spencer                  Nova Scotia, Canada       .~.
                                                           /V\
[hidden email]                                     /( )\
http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/                        ^^-^^

Re: The October 24 meeting about web development (Andy)

Joel Maxuel
Nah, I was thinking autofeed (hospitals load those up to upload your patient file to their "electronic" record), but I did fall into a different trap into thinking full page scanning instead of slide - didn't realize until some time between my original response was sent and Franks response.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 2:50 AM Mike Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Joel Maxuel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't believe the boat has been missed, unless part of the
> requirement is to accommodate an interface other than USB or
> Bluetooth.

Tnx Joel, but I'm guessing from the rest of your post that you're
thinking of flatbed scanning.  I have one of them that meets my
very occasional needs.

University professors, art college people, individual lecturers and
artists, various archives and the like have, in the past had huge 35mm
slide libraries for lecturing, teaching etc.  I talked to a friend --
fellow blacksmith as it happens -- at the Dal med school.  Turns out
that all those people eagerly launched into the digital age as soon as
it was feasible to do so, maybe 20 years ago.  Launched, did it all,
tidied up and have forgotten about slides and slide projectors.  And I
had figured I'd get around to it RSN.

Well, I do have a one-at-a-time slide scanner that works fine on Linux
with SANE.  But there are -- were -- scanners that would take a dozen
or two mounted slides and auto-feed them.  But I haven't turned one up
on Kijiji of word of mouth.

The last time I was asked to do a workshop that I though deserved some
graphic lead-in before hands on, maaybe 5 years ago, I said I'd need a
slide projector.  "I think we might be able to find one".

Huh.  Trailing edge of tech and all that.  Must go put some more wood
into the kitchen stove.  Chilly tonight. :-)

- Mike

--
Michael Spencer                  Nova Scotia, Canada       .~.
                                                           /V\
[hidden email]                                     /( )\
http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/                        ^^-^^

Re: The October 24 meeting about web development (Andy)

Eugene Cormier
On Wed, 2018-10-17 at 02:50 -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:
> Tnx Joel, but I'm guessing from the rest of your post that you're
> thinking of flatbed scanning.  I have one of them that meets my
> very occasional needs.
>
> - Mike

Mike, I googled slide/negitive/photo scanner feeder and found oodles of
them... for instance

http://a.co/d/2ctLhNB
'Includes adjustable rapid slide feeder'

Eugene

--
Eugene Cormier
---------------

---------------
Statement of Confidentiality
This message (including attachments) may contain confidential or
privileged information intended for a specific individual or
organization. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or
rely
on this email, and should promptly delete this email from your entire
computer system.

Re: The October 24 meeting about web development (Andy)

Daniel MacKay-2

Re: The October 24 meeting about web development (Andy)

George N. White III
On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 17:13, Mike Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> it would be interesting to learn of the member website URLs so we
>> could get a glimpse of them.

FWIW,  see .sig infra.

I put this up in, IIRC, 1994.  I was, AFAIK, the first blacksmith and
first blacksmithing web site on the net (for whatever that's
worth. :-)  Initial images were scanned from 8x10 B&W with a hand-held
scanner.

A few changes, gradual additions since then.  All hand-composed HTML,
no CSS, js or other active code, no ads or tracking.

Yes, there are probably some dead links and decade-old promises for
additions RSN that haven't appeared.

BTW, does anybody have a slide scanner that with an auto-feed?  To
sell or loan?  It appears that I missed the boat getting my slide
library -- ca 1,000 slides -- scanned and now they don't even make
scanners any more.  I have a slow manual-feed SCSI scanner plugged
into a older Linux box but the prospect of tediously feeding it is
intimidating.

You didn't miss the boat -- amny early adopters are scanning slides
multiple times to take advantage of improvements in quality.

Modern slide scanners are fast and use USB or flash memory cards,
with higher resolution and better colour than older slide scanners.
Since you have to handle each slide twice, a fast (few seconds) scan
means the complexity of an automatic feeder isn't worth the hassle.
DIsk is much cheaper, so it is practical to save large quantitites of
high-quality digitized slides.

A linux user's experience: http://www.newt.com/wohler/scanning-story/ (but
refers Tony Sleeps's site that has shut down due to extensive theft of iimages.

Good scanners are less than $500, but that is still a lot for something
that is used for a few days or weeks and then ignored.   You can
rent professional scanners in big cities. Photography clubs may
have scanners for use by members, but linux support would not be
a priority.  Some libraries have scanners.

--
George N. White III