Proposed Debian presentation & demo @ HCC Meeting

Oliver Doepner
Hi Frank and everyone,

Everyone, please respond to this email with a short indication of
interest, if the following topic seems like a good idea to you. I will
only do this if more than 5 people express interest. :D

I would gladly offer the topic: "Debian GNU/Linux - The Universal
Operation System".

I have given a similar presentation before. I would update the agenda a little.

The old, but mostly still relevant slide deck is here:
https://www.slideshare.net/OliverDoepner/slides-16316714

I volunteer giving an updated presentation, including several
command-line demo parts that could show some of the basics, like how
to enable sudo, package management using apt, the "alternatives"
system, and maybe (if time permits) how to build a custom deb package
after making a minor source code change.

As a miscellaneous note: The graphical desktop environment used will
be XFCE. Long-winded debates about which text editor / desktop
environment  / web browser "is better" will be draconically
suppressed. ;)

Thanks
Oliver

--
Oliver Doepner
http://odoepner.github.io/

We still need 3 votes? Re: Proposed Debian presentation & demo @ HCC Meeting

Frank Geitzler
Oliver, thank you for your kind offer.  I trust that Joel's email
(offline, to you) must have been favorable, although your response
caption ('Re: [nSLUG] Blasphemy! Dual-booting Linux with BSD') went only
to the nSLUG group, not to those in HCC who have not all been converted
YET!   I do preach the Linux gospel at every opportunity, though my
first introduction to it was a book from the Halifax Library which
contained (in an envelope attached to the inside of the back cover) a CD
from the publisher.  The book was titled 'Ubuntu for Non-Geeks'.

Please add my hearty YES, PLEASE!  I have been using Ubuntu for about
eight years now, but still have (only) one computer which dual boots
into Windows XP if I really insist.  That computer does not go anywhere
near the Internet, but has a single custom development package which I
need to run in native Windows -that package has too many fix packages
applied to it for me to put it in a Virtual Box.

Frank Geitzler