Need Dynamic DNS provider recommendation

Need Dynamic DNS provider recommendation

Gerald Ruderman
Hi,

Looks like I need a dynamic DNS provider for a home Linux box. To be
clear, not the software on the Linux box, but the provider who maintains
the DNS server. Can't remember the last time I needed this. What do you
folks suggest? Free with spam at a low rate is best. Thanks

--
Gerald

Re: Need Dynamic DNS provider recommendation

Joel Maxuel
I use freedns.afraid.org (configured with my DD-WRT router) for my primary DNS, chosen for being gratis and for having a large choice of domain names to piggyback on.
I however cannot confirm that it is effective yet, as my dynamic IP has not changed in months (only reason it did before was because a power fluctuation[*] corrupted the router's flash memory and I had to rebuild it from scratch).

Notes from the DD-WRT documentation:

freedns.afraid.org

Go to http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/ and login with your normal username and password for the freedns service. Click Direct URL on the domain you would like to be set to your WAN IP address. Copy everything from the right of the ? in the address bar.

Router Settings:

DDNS Service: freedns.afraid.org

User Name: USERNAME

Password: PASSWORD

Host Name: yourdomain.com,What_You_Copied_Before

Force Update Interval 10

(Note: Since afraid.org doesn't require a username and password when doing a "wget-style" update, you can also just do the following to keep from exposing your username and password:

User Name: guest

Password: guest

[*] Stressed generator during a power outage; needed to either TFTP a new image at the right moment of a failed boot, or replace the router altogether.  Was lucky with the TFTP route after several attempts while watching the time-to-live when pinging that sad state.

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 9:25 PM Baha Baydar <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use  https://www.noip.com/ because they're supported by Bell for my Fibe connection. No issues with the free version as long as you check the email reminder that they send.

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 9:20 PM Gerald Ruderman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Looks like I need a dynamic DNS provider for a home Linux box. To be
clear, not the software on the Linux box, but the provider who maintains
the DNS server. Can't remember the last time I needed this. What do you
folks suggest? Free with spam at a low rate is best. Thanks

--
Gerald

Baha Baydar

Re: Need Dynamic DNS provider recommendation

Dave Flogeras

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 7:01 AM Joel Maxuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use freedns.afraid.org (configured with my DD-WRT router) for my primary DNS, chosen for being gratis and for having a large choice of domain names to piggyback on.
I however cannot confirm that it is effective yet, as my dynamic IP has not changed in months

I also use freedns.afraid.org, on 3-4 hosts for the last several years (whenever dyndns.org dropped their free support).  I can definitely confirm it updates correctly, I use ddclient running on a raspberry pi to synchronize.  I also noticed when setting up the latest Hitron whatever modem from Eastlink for a friend recently, that their firmware includes built-in support for afraid.org (used to be only the paid services typically were bundled in my experience).

freedns.afraid only requires you to log in once every so many months to keep your free account active, other than that you'll never heard a peep from them.