[NSLUG] [META] List sends From: <user>, not From: NSLUG

[NSLUG] [META] List sends From: <user>, not From: NSLUG

Mike Spencer

Just noticed that I never received a copy of my last NSLUG post
detailing successful use of stunnel to access POP3 on port 995.

I was about to resend it when I realized that the NSLUG listserv
distributes posts as From: Originating-user@users-host.

But my ISP's SMTP server regards mail From: user@my-isp (in the MAIL
FROM SMPT protocol exchange) but originating from an IP address not in
their network as spam or otherwise $BAD_STUFF.  And won't accept it.

This is compounded by the failure of the SMTP smarthost I'm using for
outgoing mail (not in my-isp's network) to send a bounce mssg.  It
just vanishes mssgs that are refused by the destination server.

I have a work-around for corresponding with my-isp's support guy but
no control over how the NSLUG list does things.  So I never see my own
posts and can't verify that they've been distributed unless someone
happens to reply.

Why does the listserv only put the NSLUG address in the Reply-to:
field and not also in the From: field?  Does anybody else have this
problem?  I would also never see posts from other-user@my-isp should
there be such a person on the NSLUG list.

Grateful for the help NSLUGgers offered on my TLS/POP3 problem and was
checking to see that my thank you follow-up had been delivered.  Failed
because of above.  Grumble.

- Mike

--
Michael Spencer                  Nova Scotia, Canada       .~.
                                                           /V\

Re: [NSLUG] [META] List sends From: <user>, not From: NSLUG

Douglas Guptill
Hello Mike:

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 01:44:30AM -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:

> Just noticed that I never received a copy of my last NSLUG post
> detailing successful use of stunnel to access POP3 on port 995.

For that, and other issues you mentioned, why not try adjusting your
mailing list preferences at  http://nslug.ns.ca/ ?

Click on "Our Mailing List".

You will need to enter your email address, and password - which is
mailed to you every month by mailman - and then click on
  "Visit Subscriber List".

Once there, click on your own email address, and you will (should) be
presented with the options you can change.

I faced a similar problem some months ago, and Joel pointed me in the
right direction.

Hope that helps,
Douglas.
--
Bold character derived from stubborn patience and adversity.
==