Linux community

Winston MacPherson

Hello,

I am very interested in the Linux community. Is it held add common ground on Mondays after 5:30 p.m.? I would like to come, I don't know many people in Halifax I am a Linux enthusiast but not an expert.

I recently acquired a Pinebook pro 64 and I am having some issues with it. I would like to have Ubuntu run on the eMMC but I am having troubles with drivers and boot loaders.

Is this the kind of Linux community that can help solve issues like this?

Regards,

Winston MacPherson

Re: Linux community

Joel Maxwell
Hi Winston,

NSLUG has a long history of support (as our Nabble archive would attest to).

The Pine64 devices pique my interest (I am in particular watching the "Don't be evil" phone project) - so it is something I would be interested in providing input on.

An optimistic answer to the social meetings is that we are rethinking the idea (the list archive would cover the bulk of that discussion).

Somewhat related, there is the Halifax Computer Club (HCC.Chebucto.org) that hosts meetings (usually presentation sessions) the last Wednesday of most months.
On Nov. 11, 2019 14:55, Winston MacPherson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am very interested in the Linux community. Is it held add common ground on Mondays after 5:30 p.m.? I would like to come, I don't know many people in Halifax I am a Linux enthusiast but not an expert.
>
> I recently acquired a Pinebook pro 64 and I am having some issues with it. I would like to have Ubuntu run on the eMMC but I am having troubles with drivers and boot loaders.
>
> Is this the kind of Linux community that can help solve issues like this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Winston MacPherson

Re: Linux community

Winston MacPherson
HI Joel,
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I have been a Linux user since 2001 and I just got my pinebook pro 64 last week and I was happy with everything until I, by mistake wiped the eMMC and not I can't get the pinebook to boot1 Not even from micro SD. I would be interested to meet some time and try and figure this out with a second set of eyes. I just want to DD Ubuntu to the internal drive and I figure I could use some help figuring this out!

Regards,

Winston MacPherson
902 209 1071

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 9:43 AM Joel Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Winston,

NSLUG has a long history of support (as our Nabble archive would attest to).

The Pine64 devices pique my interest (I am in particular watching the "Don't be evil" phone project) - so it is something I would be interested in providing input on.

An optimistic answer to the social meetings is that we are rethinking the idea (the list archive would cover the bulk of that discussion).

Somewhat related, there is the Halifax Computer Club (HCC.Chebucto.org) that hosts meetings (usually presentation sessions) the last Wednesday of most months.
On Nov. 11, 2019 14:55, Winston MacPherson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am very interested in the Linux community. Is it held add common ground on Mondays after 5:30 p.m.? I would like to come, I don't know many people in Halifax I am a Linux enthusiast but not an expert.
>
> I recently acquired a Pinebook pro 64 and I am having some issues with it. I would like to have Ubuntu run on the eMMC but I am having troubles with drivers and boot loaders.
>
> Is this the kind of Linux community that can help solve issues like this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Winston MacPherson

Re: Linux community

Joel Maxwell
Hi Winston,

It would be worth noting that the eMMC issue you mention has come up in the last two pine64.org blog updates.  It is a result of handing too much priority for the eMMC to boot before SD.

However it seems there are jumpers or DIP switches to change that behavior when needed. This sounds in part consequence to being an early-release version, but fortunately the tools are available.
On Nov. 12, 2019 10:07, Winston MacPherson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI Joel,
> Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I have been a Linux user since 2001 and I just got my pinebook pro 64 last week and I was happy with everything until I, by mistake wiped the eMMC and not I can't get the pinebook to boot1 Not even from micro SD. I would be interested to meet some time and try and figure this out with a second set of eyes. I just want to DD Ubuntu to the internal drive and I figure I could use some help figuring this out!
>
> Regards,
>
> Winston MacPherson
> 902 209 1071
>
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 9:43 AM Joel Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Winston,
>>
>> NSLUG has a long history of support (as our Nabble archive would attest to).
>>
>> The Pine64 devices pique my interest (I am in particular watching the "Don't be evil" phone project) - so it is something I would be interested in providing input on.
>>
>> An optimistic answer to the social meetings is that we are rethinking the idea (the list archive would cover the bulk of that discussion).
>>
>> Somewhat related, there is the Halifax Computer Club (HCC.Chebucto.org) that hosts meetings (usually presentation sessions) the last Wednesday of most months.
>> On Nov. 11, 2019 14:55, Winston MacPherson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >

>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I am very interested in the Linux community. Is it held add common ground on Mondays after 5:30 p.m.? I would like to come, I don't know many people in Halifax I am a Linux enthusiast but not an expert.
>> >
>> > I recently acquired a Pinebook pro 64 and I am having some issues with it. I would like to have Ubuntu run on the eMMC but I am having troubles with drivers and boot loaders.
>> >
>> > Is this the kind of Linux community that can help solve issues like this?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Winston MacPherson

Re: Linux community

Winston MacPherson
Yes that is what I was thinking right now I am wondering if I should open the hardware and reset the eMMC. I just don't have the tools.