How can I repair a damaged Virtual-Box package?

How can I repair a damaged Virtual-Box package?

Frank Geitzler
Every few days I receive a pop-up message on my Ubuntu 16.04lts system,
informing me that I have received a crash in package
virtualbox-ext-pack.0.  I have reported this to Ubuntu, but of course
they do not respond.  I know that I can 'bypass' the nuisance of having
the pop-up occur every time I log on, by either deleting the crash
report, or moving it out of /var/crash; can anyone suggest how I should
repair the problem by removing/replacing the erring package?  The
following is how I moved the crash report today:

     sudo mv /var/crash/virtualbox-ext-pack.0.crash
~/Documents/Crash_Reports/virtualbox-ext-pack.0.crash_April_11_2019

Thanks,

Frank

Re: How can I repair a damaged Virtual-Box package?

Oliver Doepner

Re: How can I repair a damaged Virtual-Box package?

Jack Warkentin-2
Hi Frank

First of all, I would make sure that you are using the latest virtualbox
package. On my Debian system, it is version 5.2.26. From the version
number of your extension pack, which is 5.1.38, I expect that you are
running virtualbox version 5.1, which dates from late 2016 to early
2017. Also on my system there is an application at /usr/bin/VirtualBox
which brings up a window for controlling all of the VirtualBox virtual
machines on your userid.

Whenever I bring up /usr/bin/VirtualBox, it searches to see if I am
running the latest version of both virtualbox itself, and also the
extension pack, and offers to update these if there are later versions.

On my system, the extension packs are stored in subdirectory
.VirtualBox/ of my home directory. The latest tarball is named
Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.2.8.vbox-extpack

As for the name to be used with VBoxManage extpack uninstall, I would
suggest that the name virtualbox-ext-pack.0 you quoted in your first
message would be the correct one. Or alternatively, perhaps just the 0

These are suggestions only, as you are running Ubuntu and I am using
Debian, which may have different locations for storing the various files.

Again, I hope this helps.

Jack

Frank Geitzler wrote:

> Thanks, Jack.  The result of the VBoxManage list extpacks is:
>
>      Extension Packs: 1
>      Pack no. 0:   VNC
>      Version:      5.1.38
>      Revision:     122592
>      Edition:
>      VRDE Module:  VBoxVNC
>      Usable:       true
>      Why unusable:
>
> Should the <name> be 'VNC', or 'VBoxBNC'?  What would the name of the
> tarball be, and what folder should it be in?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Frank
>
> On 2019-04-11 4:16 p.m., Jack Warkentin wrote:
>> Hi Frank
>>
>> I would think you could uninstall the defective extension pack and
>> then reinstall. You don't have to have the Virtual Machine Manager
>> running in order to do this, instead use VBoxManage. In my version of
>> the VitualBox manual, the instructions for this are in section
>> 8.41., VBoxManage extpack
>>
>> The instructions are
>>
>> VBoxManage list extpacks - show the names of the extension packs which
>> are currently installed. The "extpacks" is a parameter to the
>> VBoxManage list command. Without that parameter, you will get pages of
>> stuff to wade through.
>>
>> VBoxManage extpack uninstall [--force] <name> - uninstalls an
>> extension pack from the system. The -- force option overrides most
>> refusals to uninstall an extension pack.
>>
>> VBoxManage extpack cleanup - used to remove temporary files and
>> directories that may have been left behind if a previous install or
>> uninstall command failed.
>>
>> VBoxManage extpack install <tarball> - installs a new extension pack
>> on the system. The <tarball> is actually a gzipped compressed file.
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jack
>>

>> Frank Geitzler wrote:
>>> Every few days I receive a pop-up message on my Ubuntu 16.04lts
>>> system, informing me that I have received a crash in package
>>> virtualbox-ext-pack.0.  I have reported this to Ubuntu, but of course
>>> they do not respond.  I know that I can 'bypass' the nuisance of
>>> having the pop-up occur every time I log on, by either deleting the
>>> crash report, or moving it out of /var/crash; can anyone suggest how
>>> I should repair the problem by removing/replacing the erring
>>> package?  The following is how I moved the crash report today:
>>>
>>>      sudo mv /var/crash/virtualbox-ext-pack.0.crash
>>> ~/Documents/Crash_Reports/virtualbox-ext-pack.0.crash_April_11_2019
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Frank

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email [hidden email]