Halifax ISPs

Robin Murray
I am looking for a very basic internet connection in Halifax. I've
googled a few lists but they are very useless and often turn out they
don't provide the service after they click-baited me onto their sites.

I was told by one that my area has "fibre only" so they couldn't
service me. I'm wondering if by "fibre only" it means that I'm tied to
Bell or Eastlink and paying $100/mo for a connection that I don't
need. I'm looking for a car, not a space shuttle.

Can anyone recommend a cheap service that provides, say, 2M download speeds?

--
Robin Murray
Halifax,

Re: Halifax ISPs

Baha Baydar
TekSavvy and CityWide are the only two independent ISPs I'm aware of. I think TekSavvy offers DSL services while CityWide offers service over Eastlink's cable system.

There may still be some dial-up ISPs kicking around, but I haven't paid much attention to that segment of the industry since the mid 90's.

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 1:41 PM Robin Murray <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am looking for a very basic internet connection in Halifax. I've
googled a few lists but they are very useless and often turn out they
don't provide the service after they click-baited me onto their sites.

I was told by one that my area has "fibre only" so they couldn't
service me. I'm wondering if by "fibre only" it means that I'm tied to
Bell or Eastlink and paying $100/mo for a connection that I don't
need. I'm looking for a car, not a space shuttle.

Can anyone recommend a cheap service that provides, say, 2M download speeds?

--
Robin Murray
Halifax,
Nova Scotia
Canada

Baha Baydar

Re: Halifax ISPs

Mike Spencer

> There may still be some dial-up ISPs kicking around, but I haven't paid
> much attention to that segment of the industry since the mid 90's.

Tallships/GLinx/Authcom (Kentville) still offers dialup but you won't
get 2M bps, more like 36K bps.

I think they are also a reseller for Eastlink Cable in the Valley;
don't know about Hfx.

FWIW
- Mike

--
Michael Spencer                  Nova Scotia, Canada       .~.
                                                           /V\

Re: Halifax ISPs

Richard Bonner

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018, Mike Spencer wrote:

> There may still be some dial-up ISPs kicking around, but I haven't paid
> much attention to that segment of the industry since the mid 90's.

> Tallships/GLinx/Authcom (Kentville) still offers dialup but you
> won't get 2M bps, more like 36K bps.

***   ...and they are expensive. Chebucto offers 56 kbs for $125 a
year. I use it and regularly get 50 kbs speed.

  Richard

Re: Halifax ISPs

Robin Murray
Thanks all. I'm running voip so do need a bit of throughput. Techsavvy
is the one that said they couldn't provide the service at my address.
I have a query in to citywide.

If they can't provide any service, then bell and eastlink pretty well
have the market wrapped up. That's not good.

--
Robin Murray
Halifax,

On 6 June 2018 at 07:32, Richard Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jun 2018, Mike Spencer wrote:
>
>> There may still be some dial-up ISPs kicking around, but I haven't paid
>> much attention to that segment of the industry since the mid 90's.
>

>> Tallships/GLinx/Authcom (Kentville) still offers dialup but you won't get
>> 2M bps, more like 36K bps.
>

> ***   ...and they are expensive. Chebucto offers 56 kbs for $125 a year. I
> use it and regularly get 50 kbs speed.
>
>  Richard

Re: Halifax ISPs

Dave Flogeras
On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 12:16 PM, Robin Murray <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks all. I'm running voip so do need a bit of throughput. Techsavvy
is the one that said they couldn't provide the service at my address.
I have a query in to citywide.

If they can't provide any service, then bell and eastlink pretty well
have the market wrapped up. That's not good.

Citywide is an Eastlink re-seller and can service anywhere you can get Eastlink.  I switched a couple years ago and have not regretted it; the only times I've had connection interruptions, it would have been the same if I were on Eastlink.

Others have reported having issues with their customer service, but I've had nothing but good experiences.  Last time I called, it was late afternoon, and they sent a tech out the next morning _AND_ he arrived at the designated time which shouldn't be noteworthy, but it is with most ISPs.

Dave

Re: Halifax ISPs

Oliver Doepner
Hello,

I am currently with Eastlink, but considering Citywide.

I read many reviews basically saying they are horrible.

Does anyone have experience with them?

Thanks
Oliver

--
Oliver Doepner
http://doepner.net/

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Dave Flogeras <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ed Fletcher
I've been on Citywide for a couple of years now.  Haven't had any issues
at all.  Tech support is not available 24 hours a day but I've never had
an outage outside of business hours so it hasn't been a problem for me
(knock on wood).  Speed is always as advertised.  And you won't get that
with Bell.

Ed

On 06/06/2018 04:05 PM, Oliver Doepner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently with Eastlink, but considering Citywide.
>
> I read many reviews basically saying they are horrible.
>
> Does anyone have experience with them?
>
> Thanks
> Oliver
>

> --
> Oliver Doepner
> http://doepner.net/
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Dave Flogeras <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 12:16 PM, Robin Murray <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks all. I'm running voip so do need a bit of throughput. Techsavvy
>>> is the one that said they couldn't provide the service at my address.
>>> I have a query in to citywide.
>>>
>>> If they can't provide any service, then bell and eastlink pretty well
>>> have the market wrapped up. That's not good.
>>>

>> Citywide is an Eastlink re-seller and can service anywhere you can get
>> Eastlink.  I switched a couple years ago and have not regretted it; the
>> only times I've had connection interruptions, it would have been the same
>> if I were on Eastlink.
>>
>> Others have reported having issues with their customer service, but I've
>> had nothing but good experiences.  Last time I called, it was late
>> afternoon, and they sent a tech out the next morning _AND_ he arrived at
>> the designated time which shouldn't be noteworthy, but it is with most ISPs.
>>
>> Dave

Ed Fletcher

"Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty
sure to be a crime to examine the laws of heat."
- Christopher Morley

Re: Halifax ISPs

Joel Maxuel
I have been on City Wide for a few years (MagicJack customer even longer), my biggest complaint with CW (and not only may they not be to blame, but the issue went away recently as well) is that someone beyond my house has been blocking VPN nodes.  It was bad enough to cancel my Private Internet Access subscription (and eventually use a different service) because eventually I ran out of PIA servers.

But then again, my current VPN provider I was able to connect to a previous server (could not access in between) without issue recently.

All said, did not have much reason to ever call them.  There was an account confusion la

wrote:

[...]

...last December that potentially bumped my up to a higher package, if it weren't for the CRTC coming in and taking away choice in the end anyway.

Everyone is paying a little more at a result, but at 5x the speed compared to this time last year (now 100Mbps - the only ones with slower service are those with older infrastructure).

Apologies for the break in message - I mistyped somewhere.

wrote:

[...]

Robert McKay
On 2018-06-05 17:41, Robin Murray wrote:

> I am looking for a very basic internet connection in Halifax. I've
> googled a few lists but they are very useless and often turn out they
> don't provide the service after they click-baited me onto their sites.
>
> I was told by one that my area has "fibre only" so they couldn't
> service me. I'm wondering if by "fibre only" it means that I'm tied to
> Bell or Eastlink and paying $100/mo for a connection that I don't
> need. I'm looking for a car, not a space shuttle.
>
> Can anyone recommend a cheap service that provides, say, 2M download
> speeds?

For light use 4g/LTE may be a good/cheap option.

You can plug an 4g/LTE dongle into most any openwrt capable home router,
or buy a mifi device (which is handy to have anyway).

I have used 4g as my primary internet connection for several months
using this;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E5770s-320-Hotspot-globally-battery/dp/B014RA2QE6/

that one has a nice hardware ethernet port as well as wifi so it's easy
to hook up to your lan. It provides dhcp and a 192.168.1.0/24 NAT
network.

It wasn't as good as fiber obviously, but it's instant setup and can be
cheap as long as you can find a plan that fits your usage and cost
requirements.

Another nice mifi device worth mentioning is
https://www.gl-inet.com/mifi/ -- this thing runs openwrt out of the box,
and has a built in battery and mobile module. It's a great little
gadget, unfortunately I already broke mine by inserting the simcard
backwards.. it's sim holder is a bit fragile, so be careful.

Or just any openwrt with a usb stick is fine too.

It seems like there may be some reasonable deals using foreign networks
roaming in canada

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Canada#Foreign_SIM_cards_roaming_in_Canada

https://www.amazon.ca/Telcel-Mexico-Prepaid-Card-Devices/dp/B00MYN5OKW/

The US ones seem to provide a good amount of data (including several
'unlimited'/throttled options).. so does the free france one if it's
still available.

If you find a good plan that doesn't allow tethering, that restriction
can normally be bypassed by running a vpn on the router that's driving
the 4g stick.

There may also be good contract (as opposed to prepaid) plans too.

Robert

Re: Halifax ISPs

Ed Fletcher

On 06/08/2018 01:30 PM, Robert McKay wrote:

> On 2018-06-05 17:41, Robin Murray wrote:
>> I am looking for a very basic internet connection in Halifax. I've
>> googled a few lists but they are very useless and often turn out they
>> don't provide the service after they click-baited me onto their sites.
>>
>> I was told by one that my area has "fibre only" so they couldn't
>> service me. I'm wondering if by "fibre only" it means that I'm tied to
>> Bell or Eastlink and paying $100/mo for a connection that I don't
>> need. I'm looking for a car, not a space shuttle.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a cheap service that provides, say, 2M download
>> speeds?
>
> For light use 4g/LTE may be a good/cheap option.
>
> You can plug an 4g/LTE dongle into most any openwrt capable home router,
> or buy a mifi device (which is handy to have anyway).
>
> I have used 4g as my primary internet connection for several months
> using this;
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E5770s-320-Hotspot-globally-battery/dp/B014RA2QE6/
>

> that one has a nice hardware ethernet port as well as wifi so it's easy
> to hook up to your lan. It provides dhcp and a 192.168.1.0/24 NAT network.
>
> It wasn't as good as fiber obviously, but it's instant setup and can be
> cheap as long as you can find a plan that fits your usage and cost
> requirements.
>
> Another nice mifi device worth mentioning is
> https://www.gl-inet.com/mifi/ -- this thing runs openwrt out of the box,
> and has a built in battery and mobile module. It's a great little
> gadget, unfortunately I already broke mine by inserting the simcard
> backwards.. it's sim holder is a bit fragile, so be careful.
>
> Or just any openwrt with a usb stick is fine too.
>
> It seems like there may be some reasonable deals using foreign networks
> roaming in canada
>
> http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Canada#Foreign_SIM_cards_roaming_in_Canada
>

> https://www.amazon.ca/Telcel-Mexico-Prepaid-Card-Devices/dp/B00MYN5OKW/
>
> The US ones seem to provide a good amount of data (including several
> 'unlimited'/throttled options).. so does the free france one if it's
> still available.
>
> If you find a good plan that doesn't allow tethering, that restriction
> can normally be bypassed by running a vpn on the router that's driving
> the 4g stick.
>
> There may also be good contract (as opposed to prepaid) plans too.
>
> Robert

I just saw this yesterday.  It seems to have some good options (cable,
dsl, home phone, TV), but I've never heard of them.  Does anyone have
experience with this company?

http://www.netfox.ca

Ed
--
Ed Fletcher

"Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty
sure to be a crime to examine the laws of heat."
- Christopher Morley

Re: Halifax ISPs

Robin Murray
I don't want to publicly bash a company here, but looking at the
reviews for CityWide, they seem to be in a pretty bad state. I have
sent them two email to ask if they service my address and gotten
nothing back in a couple of weeks. I just tried calling them, and in
the 10 minutes I was on hold I went from position 48 in the queue to
position 47. I really don't think they will be around much longer
unless they smarten up.

--
Robin Murray
Halifax,

On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 at 08:32, Ed Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/08/2018 01:30 PM, Robert McKay wrote:
> > On 2018-06-05 17:41, Robin Murray wrote:
> >> I am looking for a very basic internet connection in Halifax. I've
> >> googled a few lists but they are very useless and often turn out they
> >> don't provide the service after they click-baited me onto their sites.
> >>
> >> I was told by one that my area has "fibre only" so they couldn't
> >> service me. I'm wondering if by "fibre only" it means that I'm tied to
> >> Bell or Eastlink and paying $100/mo for a connection that I don't
> >> need. I'm looking for a car, not a space shuttle.
> >>
> >> Can anyone recommend a cheap service that provides, say, 2M download
> >> speeds?
> >
> > For light use 4g/LTE may be a good/cheap option.
> >
> > You can plug an 4g/LTE dongle into most any openwrt capable home router,
> > or buy a mifi device (which is handy to have anyway).
> >
> > I have used 4g as my primary internet connection for several months
> > using this;
> >
> > https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E5770s-320-Hotspot-globally-battery/dp/B014RA2QE6/
> >

> > that one has a nice hardware ethernet port as well as wifi so it's easy
> > to hook up to your lan. It provides dhcp and a 192.168.1.0/24 NAT network.
> >
> > It wasn't as good as fiber obviously, but it's instant setup and can be
> > cheap as long as you can find a plan that fits your usage and cost
> > requirements.
> >
> > Another nice mifi device worth mentioning is
> > https://www.gl-inet.com/mifi/ -- this thing runs openwrt out of the box,
> > and has a built in battery and mobile module. It's a great little
> > gadget, unfortunately I already broke mine by inserting the simcard
> > backwards.. it's sim holder is a bit fragile, so be careful.
> >
> > Or just any openwrt with a usb stick is fine too.
> >
> > It seems like there may be some reasonable deals using foreign networks
> > roaming in canada
> >
> > http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Canada#Foreign_SIM_cards_roaming_in_Canada
> >

> > https://www.amazon.ca/Telcel-Mexico-Prepaid-Card-Devices/dp/B00MYN5OKW/
> >
> > The US ones seem to provide a good amount of data (including several
> > 'unlimited'/throttled options).. so does the free france one if it's
> > still available.
> >
> > If you find a good plan that doesn't allow tethering, that restriction
> > can normally be bypassed by running a vpn on the router that's driving
> > the 4g stick.
> >
> > There may also be good contract (as opposed to prepaid) plans too.
> >
> > Robert
>
> I just saw this yesterday.  It seems to have some good options (cable,
> dsl, home phone, TV), but I've never heard of them.  Does anyone have
> experience with this company?
>
> http://www.netfox.ca
>
> Ed
> --
> Ed Fletcher
>
> "Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty
> sure to be a crime to examine the laws of heat."
> - Christopher Morley

Re: Halifax ISPs

Robin Murray
I sent netfox a service inquiry and got a detailed reply back in about
10 minutes. Not bad...

--
> [...]

> > 'unlimited'/throttled options).. so does the free france one if it's
> > still available.
> >
> > If you find a good plan that doesn't allow tethering, that restriction
> > can normally be bypassed by running a vpn on the router that's driving
> > the 4g stick.
> >
> > There may also be good contract (as opposed to prepaid) plans too.
> >
> > Robert
>
> I just saw this yesterday.  It seems to have some good options (cable,
> dsl, home phone, TV), but I've never heard of them.  Does anyone have
> experience with this company?
>
> http://www.netfox.ca
>
> Ed
> --
> Ed Fletcher
>
> "Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty
> sure to be a crime to examine the laws of heat."

Re: Halifax ISPs

Paul Russell
There is often a huge difference difference between sales / pre-sales and support. I'd expected a near immediate response from sales.

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 11:50 AM, Robin Murray <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > 'unlimited'/throttled options).. so does the free france one if it's
> > still available.
> >
> > If you find a good plan that doesn't allow tethering, that restriction
> > can normally be bypassed by running a vpn on the router that's driving
> > the 4g stick.
> >
> > There may also be good contract (as opposed to prepaid) plans too.
> >
> > Robert
>
> I just saw this yesterday.  It seems to have some good options (cable,
> dsl, home phone, TV), but I've never heard of them.  Does anyone have
> experience with this company?
>
> http://www.netfox.ca
>
> Ed
> --
> Ed Fletcher
>
> "Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty
> sure to be a crime to examine the laws of heat."

Paul Russell
Sackville Volunteer Of The Year, 2017
Parade Marshall, 2018 Sackville Celebrate Canada Parade
President, Sackville Cobequid PC Association
(902) 830-5043

Re: Halifax ISPs

Robin Murray
I mentioned in a previous email, I have yet to hear back from CityWide
for a sales call over the last two or three weeks.

--
Robin Murray
Halifax,

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 at 12:00, Paul Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is often a huge difference difference between sales / pre-sales and support. I'd expected a near immediate response from sales.
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 11:50 AM, Robin Murray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I sent netfox a service inquiry and got a detailed reply back in about
>> 10 minutes. Not bad...
>>

>> --
>> Robin Murray
>> Halifax,
>> Nova Scotia
>> Canada

>> > I just saw this yesterday.  It seems to have some good options (cable,
>> > dsl, home phone, TV), but I've never heard of them.  Does anyone have
>> > experience with this company?
>> >
>> > http://www.netfox.ca
>> >
>> > Ed
>> > --
>> > Ed Fletcher
>> >
>> > "Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty
>> > sure to be a crime to examine the laws of heat."
>> > - Christopher Morley

> Paul Russell
> Sackville Volunteer Of The Year, 2017
> Parade Marshall, 2018 Sackville Celebrate Canada Parade
> President, Sackville Cobequid PC Association
> (902) 830-5043

Re: Halifax ISPs

Joel Maxuel
IIRC CityWide support intake and sales (in essence their "call centre") is just one person, at best two.  Also, 10 days ago there was an outage over in Dartmouth (and Halifax later that day).
I called that day too (unsuspecting of the outage with a non-urgent inquiry[*]), left a callback number instead of waiting in queue (I was at position 50) and got a response/call back in three hours.

If the service is prone to problems CW would be a massive dealbreaker, but in the four or so years I have been with them, my internet has been out three times I believe (totaling less than eight hours, half that time I was not even home to experience it) - if only Emera is that reliable.

[*] For those it may matter for, their website is misleading.  It says call for business packages (was looking into what a static IP would cost me), but none are available.

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 12:08 PM Robin Murray <[hidden email]> wrote:
I mentioned in a previous email, I have yet to hear back from CityWide
for a sales call over the last two or three weeks.

--
Robin Murray
Halifax,
Nova Scotia
Canada

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 at 12:00, Paul Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is often a huge difference difference between sales / pre-sales and support. I'd expected a near immediate response from sales.
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 11:50 AM, Robin Murray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I sent netfox a service inquiry and got a detailed reply back in about
>> 10 minutes. Not bad...
>>

>> --
>> Robin Murray
>> Halifax,
>> Nova Scotia
>> Canada

>> > I just saw this yesterday.  It seems to have some good options (cable,
>> > dsl, home phone, TV), but I've never heard of them.  Does anyone have
>> > experience with this company?
>> >
>> > http://www.netfox.ca
>> >
>> > Ed
>> > --
>> > Ed Fletcher
>> >
>> > "Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty
>> > sure to be a crime to examine the laws of heat."
>> > - Christopher Morley

> Paul Russell
> Sackville Volunteer Of The Year, 2017
> Parade Marshall, 2018 Sackville Celebrate Canada Parade
> President, Sackville Cobequid PC Association
> (902) 830-5043

Re: Halifax ISPs

Ed Fletcher
A good friend of mine is currently having an issue with Citywide.  He's only getting about 50Mbs.  So he called them and they sent a tech.  The tech does his investigation and determined that the problem was with the cable modem.  He doesn't have another one but my friend was advised to call the office and one would be mailed to him.

He calls in and tells them the tech says he needs a new cable modem.  They say that can't be right, the tech must be mistaken.  So they send another tech, this time an Eastlink tech driving an Eastlink van.  This guy says the same thing, it's the cable modem.  But he's not going to give an Eastlink modem to a Citywide customer,  so it's back to the phone.

Citywide customer service still says it can't be the modem and he must've misheard the tech.  At this point my friend is not happy.  He's now going to sign up with Netfox and cancel Citywide.  I'm curious to see what kind of experience he has with Netfox.  Myself, I have had no problems with Citywide.  But if their customer service is this bad, it's just a matter of time.

Ed

On June 28, 2018 7:47:58 AM ADT, Joel Maxuel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>simcard

>> networks
>> >> > >

>http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Canada#Foreign_SIM_cards_roaming_in_Canada
>> >> > >

>https://www.amazon.ca/Telcel-Mexico-Prepaid-Card-Devices/dp/B00MYN5OKW/

>several
>if it's

>> restriction
>> driving

>too.

>(cable,
>have

>> > --
>> > Paul Russell
>> > Sackville Volunteer Of The Year, 2017
>> > Parade Marshall, 2018 Sackville Celebrate Canada Parade
>> > President, Sackville Cobequid PC Association
>> > (902) 830-5043

Ed Fletcher

"Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty
sure to be a crime to examine the laws of heat."

bob callaghan

Four letters that get a an ISP, or cell phone companies attention CRTC.