Halifax Computer Club (HCC) September 26th, 2018

Halifax Computer Club (HCC) September 26th, 2018

Frank Geitzler
Our September, 2018 meeting will take place September 26th, 2018 at 7:00
P.M.

We meet there near the end of each month, in the Community Room on the
second floor. There is an accessible lift which is usually available,
for those with mobility problems -if you require it, and it is locked or
is otherwise out of
service, check with the Courtesy Desk -they are usually very helpful,
but we really can't guarantee it.

Guests are welcome, and I hope to update the meeting page of the website
shortly to show the meeting topic, which is yet to be determined.
However, you are welcome to bring any topics on which you would like
information, or on which you would like to provide information.

Our website is: http://hcc.chebucto.org/meetings.html

Re: Halifax Computer Club (HCC) September 26th, 2018

Oliver Doepner
Hi all,

I would like to propose a topic that I could present on September 26th:

Agile Software Development using Debian laptop, Free/Open Source tools and free cloud services (github/travis/bintray)

I blogged about the cloud services part a while ago: https://odoepner.wordpress.com/2016/07/12/continuous-delivery-using-github-travis-ci-and-bintray/

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers
Oliver

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 5:59 PM, Frank Geitzler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Our September, 2018 meeting will take place September 26th, 2018 at 7:00 P.M.

We meet there near the end of each month, in the Community Room on the second floor. There is an accessible lift which is usually available, for those with mobility problems -if you require it, and it is locked or is otherwise out of
service, check with the Courtesy Desk -they are usually very helpful, but we really can't guarantee it.

Guests are welcome, and I hope to update the meeting page of the website shortly to show the meeting topic, which is yet to be determined.  However, you are welcome to bring any topics on which you would like information, or on which you would like to provide information.

Our website is: http://hcc.chebucto.org/meetings.html

Halifax Computer Club (HCC) September 26th, 2018 Meeting Schedule

The meeting schedule was updated today.
Our September, 2018 meeting will take place September 26th, 2018 at 7:00
P.M.

We meet there near the end of each month, in the Community Room on the
second floor. There is an accessible lift which is usually available,
for those with mobility problems -if you require it, and it is locked or
is otherwise out of
service, check with the Courtesy Desk -they are usually very helpful,
but we really can't guarantee it.

Guests are welcome, and I updated the meeting page of the website
today to show the meeting topic.  However, you are welcome to bring up any topics on which you would like
information, or on which you would like to provide information, for this or future meetings

Our website is:
	http://hcc.chebucto.org/meetings.html

Frank Geitzler

A copy of the current meeting page appears below

MEETINGS SCHEDULE

For the Halifax Computer Club
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Meetings are held January through November, usually on the last Wednesday of every month (except December).
The meetings start at 7PM in the Windsor Street Sobeys Community Room, located at 2651 Windsor Street Halifax, NS, Canada.

The room is wheelchair accessible. (Image:
          wheelchair symbol)

Wednesday, September 26th, 2018 (Confirmed)

Topic: Agile Software Development using Debian laptop, Free/Open Source tools and free cloud services (github/travis/bintray).

Future Meeting Dates:

  • Wednesday, Oct. 24th, 2018.
  • Wednesday, Nov. 28th, 2018.

To see previous club meetings and agendas,
visit the Past Meetings.

Halifax Computer Club (HCC) October 24th, 2018 Meeting Schedule

Frank Geitzler

The meeting schedule was updated today.
Our October, 2018 meeting will take place October 24th, 2018 at 7:00
P.M.

Oliver Doepner will provide A presentation about web development.

[...]

Wednesday, October 24th, 2018. (Confirmed)

Topic: A presentation about web development, by Oliver Doepner.

Future Meeting Dates:

  • Wednesday, Nov. 28th, 2018.

To see previous club meetings and agendas,
visit the Past Meetings.

Halifax Computer Club (HCC) November, 2018 Meeting Schedule

The meeting schedule was updated today.

Our last meeting of the year, the November, 2018 meeting, will take place November 28th, 2018 at 7:00 P.M.
In some previous we have had a 'pot-luck' meeting, since we will not have a December meeting.
I haven't had any feed-back to a message I sent out some time ago suggesting that, so all I can
say is -if you want to bring some food, go ahead.

We meet there near the end of each month (except in December), in the Community Room on the
second floor. There is an accessible lift which is usually available,
for those with mobility problems -if you require it, and it is locked or
is otherwise out of
service, check with the Courtesy Desk -they are usually very helpful,
but we really can't guarantee it.

Guests are welcome, and I updated the meeting page of the website
today to show that the meeting topic is 'to be determined'.  However, you are welcome to bring up any topics on which you would like
information, or on which you would like to provide information, for this or future meetings.

Sobeys has not yet provided confirmation for meeting dates for next year, so we will have to wait till after Christmas to announce the date of the January meeting.

 Our website is:
	http://hcc.chebucto.org/meetings.html

Frank Geitzler

A copy of our current meetings page appears below:

MEETINGS SCHEDULE

For the Halifax Computer Club
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Meetings are held January through November, usually on the last Wednesday of every month (except December).
The meetings start at 7PM in the Windsor Street Sobeys Community Room, located at 2651 Windsor Street Halifax, NS, Canada.

The room is wheelchair accessible. (Image:
            wheelchair symbol)

Wednesday, Nov. 28th, 2018 (Confirmed).

Topic: To be determined.

Future Meeting Dates:

  • To be determined after Christmas.

To see previous club meetings and agendas,
visit the Past Meetings.

Update/Reminder re: Halifax Computer Club (HCC) November, 2018 Meeting Schedule

Frank Geitzler

The meeting schedule was updated today to include the dates of our first two meetings in 2019:
  • Wednesday, January 30th, 2019.
  • Wednesday, February 27th, 2019.

Our last meeting of the year, the November, 2018 meeting, will take place Wednesday, November 28th, 2018 at 7:00 P.M.
In some previous years we have had a 'pot-luck' meeting, since we will not have a December meeting.  I haven't had any feed-back to a message I sent out some time ago suggesting that, so all I can
say is -if you want to bring some food, go ahead.

We meet at Sobeys on the corner of North St. and Windsor St., near the end of each month (except in December), in the Community Room on the
second floor. There is an accessible lift which is usually available (but we can't really guarantee it), for those with mobility problems -if you require it, and it is locked or
is otherwise out of service, check with the Courtesy Desk -they are very helpful.

Guests are welcome, and I updated the meeting page of the website today to show that the meeting topic is 'to be determined'.  However, you are welcome to bring up any topics on which you would like
[...]

Re: Update/Reminder re: Halifax Computer Club (HCC) November, 2018 Meeting Schedule

bob callaghan
Charity Initiative Help Wanted

I have had this idea kicking around in my head for a few months, and it's starting to take shape! I want to create a friendly programming environment for hospital bound teens. I already have most of the pieces.

Version 0001 will be:

T43 thinkpad (anyone have a 16v yellow tipped power brick?) Running raspbian

Arduino Uno attached to simple board with various sensors (fully wired with clear covers on everything)

Simple instructions on how to get started printed on the board

I have an industrial printer for the board or any laptop graphics and plenty of arduino bits.
Any suggestions on how to  approach this? Facebook page with catchy slogan seems to be the minimum.
My thoughts on Raspbian on the PC, is the easier transition to Raspberry Pi?
A way to take hardware or cash donations.
Another possible tie in, a makerspace subscription for the ward, allows kids to have thier 3D printed stuff produced, would require volunteers and approval on their end?
Is this a hospital thing, or a patient thing?

A kickstarter page would probably blow up, I would like to lighten the load on this and avoid problems before this gets traction, any takers?

Any and all input appreciated!

regards,

Bob Callaghan

[...]

Image: Club Logo HCC

MEETINGS SCHEDULE

For the Halifax Computer Club
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Meetings are held January through November, usually on the last Wednesday of every month (except December).
The meetings start at 7PM in the Windsor Street Sobeys Community Room, located at 2651 Windsor Street Halifax, NS, Canada.

The room is wheelchair accessible. (Image:
              wheelchair symbol)

Wednesday, Nov. 28th, 2018 (Confirmed).

Topic: To be determined.

Future Meeting Dates:

  • Wednesday, January 30th, 2019.
  • Wednesday, February 27th, 2019.

To see previous club meetings and agendas,
visit the Past Meetings.

Re: Update/Reminder re: Halifax Computer Club (HCC) November, 2018 Meeting Schedule

Dop Ganger
Raspbian is compiled for ARM, to run that on a PC you would need to run it
in an emulator. I think you are better off using Debian since Raspbian is
largely Debian compiled for ARM with some Raspberry specific helper
modules.

I am reasonable sure I have a Thinkpad at home with a yellow tipped PSU,
are you looking for specfic information off the PSU?

Unlikely you would be able to get a ward to get a subscription but you may
be able to talk to Partners for Care to get something in the patient break
rooms on the floors.

Cheers... Dop.

On Tue, 20 Nov 2018, bob callaghan wrote:

> Charity Initiative Help Wanted
>
> I have had this idea kicking around in my head for a few months, and it's starting to take shape! I want to
> create a friendly programming environment for hospital bound teens. I already have most of the pieces.
>
> Version 0001 will be:
>
> T43 thinkpad (anyone have a 16v yellow tipped power brick?) Running raspbian
>
> Arduino Uno attached to simple board with various sensors (fully wired with clear covers on everything)
>
> Simple instructions on how to get started printed on the board
>
> I have an industrial printer for the board or any laptop graphics and plenty of arduino bits.
> Any suggestions on how to  approach this? Facebook page with catchy slogan seems to be the minimum.
> My thoughts on Raspbian on the PC, is the easier transition to Raspberry Pi?
> A way to take hardware or cash donations.
> Another possible tie in, a makerspace subscription for the ward, allows kids to have thier 3D printed stuff
> produced, would require volunteers and approval on their end?
> Is this a hospital thing, or a patient thing?
>
> A kickstarter page would probably blow up, I would like to lighten the load on this and avoid problems before
> this gets traction, any takers?
>
> Any and all input appreciated!
>
> regards,
>
> Bob Callaghan
>

> ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I thought there was a x86 version of raspbian? I'm not married to raspbian, it's just a popular distro with low Hardware requirements! The power brick is yellow 16 volt I believe

Raspbian is compiled for ARM, to run that on a PC you would need to run it
in an emulator. I think you are better off using Debian since Raspbian is
largely Debian compiled for ARM with some Raspberry specific helper
modules.

I am reasonable sure I have a Thinkpad at home with a yellow tipped PSU,
are you looking for specfic information off the PSU?

Unlikely you would be able to get a ward to get a subscription but you may
be able to talk to Partners for Care to get something in the patient break
rooms on the floors.

Cheers... Dop.

On Tue, 20 Nov 2018, bob callaghan wrote:

> Charity Initiative Help Wanted
>
> I have had this idea kicking around in my head for a few months, and it's starting to take shape! I want to
> create a friendly programming environment for hospital bound teens. I already have most of the pieces.
>
> Version 0001 will be:
>
> T43 thinkpad (anyone have a 16v yellow tipped power brick?) Running raspbian
>
> Arduino Uno attached to simple board with various sensors (fully wired with clear covers on everything)
>
> Simple instructions on how to get started printed on the board
>
> I have an industrial printer for the board or any laptop graphics and plenty of arduino bits.
> Any suggestions on how to  approach this? Facebook page with catchy slogan seems to be the minimum.
> My thoughts on Raspbian on the PC, is the easier transition to Raspberry Pi?
> A way to take hardware or cash donations.
> Another possible tie in, a makerspace subscription for the ward, allows kids to have thier 3D printed stuff
> produced, would require volunteers and approval on their end?
> Is this a hospital thing, or a patient thing?
>
> A kickstarter page would probably blow up, I would like to lighten the load on this and avoid problems before
> this gets traction, any takers?
>
> Any and all input appreciated!
>
> regards,
>
> Bob Callaghan
>

> ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Halifax Computer Club (HCC) January 30th, 2019 Meeting

The meeting page of the website was updated this evening

Our first meeting of the new year will take place January 30th, 2019 at 7:00 P.M.
We meet near the end of each month (except in December) at Sobeys
on the corner of Windsor and North Streets, in the Community Room on the
second floor. There is an accessible lift which is usually available
for those with mobility problems -if you require it, and it is locked or
is otherwise out of service, check with the Courtesy Desk -they are usually very helpful,
but we really can't guarantee it.

Guests are welcome. I updated the meeting page of the website
tonight to show the proposed meeting topic.  However, you are welcome to bring up any topics
on which you would like information, or on which you would like to provide information,
for this or future meetings.

 Our website meeting page is:
	http://hcc.chebucto.org/meetings.html

Halifax Computer Club (HCC) February 27th, 2019 Meeting

Frank Geitzler

The meeting page of the website was updated this morning.

Our first meeting of the new year will take place February 27th, 2019 at 7:00 P.M. (weather permitting).  We had to cancel the January 30th meeting because of bad weather conditions.
We meet near the end of each month (except in December) at Sobeys
on the corner of Windsor and North Streets, in the Community Room on the
second floor. There is an accessible lift which is usually available
for those with mobility problems -if you require it, and it is locked or
is otherwise out of service, check with the Courtesy Desk -they are usually very helpful,
but we really can't guarantee it.

Guests are welcome. I updated the meeting page of the website
this morning to show several proposed meeting topics.  However, you are welcome to bring up any topics