Experience with FiberOp?

Amid the black Friday deals, I found a discount for Bell's FiberOp.  I signed up but am still able to back out until the actual installation occurs.

I won't ask about value (since the dualopoly does not allow for much competition as it is anyway), but I have a few practical questions...

- Is the router web interface (if applicable, I hear the conversion boxes come with routers built in these days) Linux friendly?  As well, are they flexible enough for advanced features such as port forwarding?

- If anyone uses a VPN as well, have there been any issues with their use?  My current provider blocks the remote servers after some time.

- If hosting any services on the side (I have remote access stuff enabled for my mobile devices) do you find that the IP address changes often or any sort of blocking of ports?

- Any other considerations I should be aware of?

Many thanks.

Re: Experience with FiberOp?

Daniel MacKay-2
> ?  As well, are they flexible enough for advanced features such as port forwarding?

Yes - I have a port forwarded for a webcam.

> - If hosting any services on the side (I have remote access stuff enabled for my mobile devices) do you find that the IP address changes often

Mine’s changed maybe 3 times in 5 years. But dynamic dns is still your friend.

> or any sort of blocking of ports?

Not that I’ve noticed.

> - Any other considerations I should be aware of?

Reliability and performance really are magnificent. I get a very consistent 128M down, 50M up from speedtest.net

Re: Experience with FiberOp?

D G Teed-2

The modem they supplied for me had telnet open to the world even with the "firewall on".

I nmap'ed my neighbours, and the /24 subnet above and below me.  About 21% had telnet open.

I replaced mine with an Asus router using Merlin WRT firmware which supports the VLAN tagging
required of Bell's fibre op and TV solution.

For TV, it is crazy.  Put a PIN on purchases, even if you don't have kids.  Entering
a channel you don't get causes the next nearest one to be selected.

My Dad is in his 80's and his bill came back with Power Rangers and The Smurfs movie.
Yeah, they have a prompt on purchasing the show with only an OK button
and no cancel or other option.

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 10:52 AM, Daniel MacKay <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ?  As well, are they flexible enough for advanced features such as port forwarding?

Yes - I have a port forwarded for a webcam.

> - If hosting any services on the side (I have remote access stuff enabled for my mobile devices) do you find that the IP address changes often

Mine’s changed maybe 3 times in 5 years. But dynamic dns is still your friend.

> or any sort of blocking of ports?

Not that I’ve noticed.

> - Any other considerations I should be aware of?

Reliability and performance really are magnificent. I get a very consistent 128M down, 50M up from speedtest.net

Re: Experience with FiberOp?

Joel Maxuel
Hi all,

Thanks for the information.  I ended up cancelling the installation as I cannot abide by their acceptable use policy.  Even though there are no caps (nor where I am now), with Fibe they have the right to approach you on your data usage and if need be, suspend service.

What really got me though is that running an SSH service to remote access your system is considered by them as a "disruptive activity" and prohibited.

Ideally, yes, I should have a business account given these gripes.  But also, the above were never an issue with my current provider, only the random blocking of VPN servers (which I rarely use or need).  Finally, given the added cost for a business account, it seems easier to stay where I am.