Cancellation of the March, 2020 HCC meeting

Cancellation of the March, 2020 HCC meeting

Frank Geitzler

Due to concerns about the COVID-19 virus, we feel it would be wise to cancel the meeting which we planned to schedule for Wednesday, March 25th.

We have not yet made arrangements with Sobeys to schedule meetings for later dates, and some of us had been discussing among ourselves whether we might encourage a larger attendance if we were able to change to a different evening (for example, Tuesday, or Thursday), meet alternate months, or target different participants on alternate months, etc.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions which you feel might improve attendance when we are prepared to resume scheduling, please pass them along to me.

Kimsufi

Daniel MacKay-2
For the last few days I've been burning the midnight oil moving my beloved bonmot.ca server, which runs services and webpages for a variety of NGOs and nonprofits including Wayves and Solar Nova Scotia and Elderberries and the Halifax Rainbow Encyclopedia and a dozen others, from a server facility that's been free - generously provided by a local ISP, to a paid server farm.

The local ISP has never wanted to be publicly acknowledged, so I'm not going to now, but they've been very generous for the last eight years or so.

My model with them has been, they donate the server, I do good work with it, so they're kind of paying it forward, but management has recently changed, and they say they're not doing philanthropy any more.

There are quite a few Virtual Private Server environments, most running on SSDs with really great performance but limited (or expensive) disk space, usually 20G. I need about a hundred, but I don’t need extreme performance. So after shopping around and trying a couple, I picked Kimsufi. They have a server farm in France, and one in Quebec, but there are no small servers available in the Quebec one.

Kimsufi is usually “being re-stocked” on the cheap KS-1 service, but there’s a service, kimsufi-notifier.com, run by another guy, which checks every 15 seconds and emails you if there’s a server i the class you want, available. I set it for the KS-1 in Canada and France, and the KS-3 in France. After a couple missed opportunities, I got a France KS-1. There’s a description of the services here:

        https://www.kimsufi.com/ca/en/servers.xml

… there’s no monthly bandwidth cap.

The services running on Bonmot have been built up and added to and tweaked and gadgeted over the last quarter century and getting them all settled in their new home is a *bit* daunting - as we say, "Hardware brevis, software longa.”

A couple people have extremely generously already donated almost three years' worth of server farm rental fees already. Thank you.

Websites seamlessly moved to the new server:
* dozens of sites running under bonmot.ca/ thing
* cefconsultants.ns.ca
* condominiummana.ca
* courageroundup.ca
* cygnettrailers.ca
* gay.hfxns.org
* solarns.ca
* w2sa.ca
* wayves.ca

There’s one I'm particularly proud of: I wrote it in 1997 in Perl, and it has not had a single line of code changed since then (and god help me if it needed it, because I don’t remember how it works.)

It's a showcase of solar homes around Atlantic Canada- a sampler of all the different kinds - as a database that you could add a home to and it would automatically show up in all the right places.

The system doesn't just show pictures - it's intended to document the systems and performance.

In the Maps section, the square icons are home sites with pictures, and the round ones only have descriptons. Or you can click Gallery to see pictures of a variety of solar homes, mostly from 20 years ago.

Click the link to check out an antique but still useful interactive website (it looks a little plain because it was designed go inside an .. IFRAME I think, on another website.

        http://bonmot.ca/ship/

Daniel MacKay (he/him)
Bonmot Publishing
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Kimsufi

Daniel MacKay-2
From a control panel you click the “Reinstall” button and pick from 20-30 operating systems, and about five minutes later it emails you the Ip number and root password.  I’m running Debian 9.12.

Re: Kimsufi

George N. White III
On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 at 18:34, Daniel MacKay <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

It isn't safe to assume Quebec servers will be better for Nova Scotia.   You might run into some extra paperwork, but in the past (before Netflix took off) I have found Nova Scotia often had better internet connections (using Eastlink) to university and ESA sites in Germany and France than to Quebec and points west.   These days ESA uses some big content distribution service(s) so is almost always good.  Part of the difference I observed that might be due the different time zones.

--
George N. White III