Blasphemy! Dual-booting Linux with BSD

Joel Maxuel
After being in the Linux camp for two decades, I am getting ever more interested in what BSD has to offer.  I have looked (gave glance at least) at a few of the major options (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Dragonfly) and although I would prefer OpenBSD for their security-focused model (and their release songs[1] are great), however due to no support for my video card (or it's vendor without using a well un-maintained driver), it appears my alliance will be with NetBSD.

Anyone try this kind of dual-boot scenario?  I did find some cursory[2] info on how to pull this off.  I would be accessing files between both sides of the fence, so I will have some extra re-partitioning to do.  Since BSD has default filesystem options of UFS/ZFS and Linux ext3/ext4, I have decided on UFS for the BSD /home and keeping ext4 for the Linux /home - but!

Since both OS'es seem to have limited support of the other's filesystem (for all intents, I need only worry about read-only access for them anyway), I would set up a "common" partition/slice with a specialized[3] ext2 filesystem that is well accessible by both.

Then with the use of bind mounts and symlinks, I can redesign the layout of my personal files to be seamless between the two.

Any suggestions or other possible concerns I should be aware of?  Ultimately I will need to discontinue my use of the hibernate feature so I don't confuse a saved state.

[1] https://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html

Re: Blasphemy! Dual-booting Linux with BSD

Oliver Doepner
Hi Joel,

My light-hearted first response would be, that my favorite "Kill 'em all"
BSD distribution is found here:
http://killemalldistro.com/blog/2018/12/11/bsd-2019-st-delivery-has-arrived

A slightly more serious response would be: Will the tinkering ever end? Are
you a masochist? There is life beyond computers. But that borders on insult
and I am a Linux geek, too, of course.

So I guess a more socially acceptable response would be: How can any BSD
ever be better than Debian (maybe with the BSD kernel, or maybe not, or with
Hurd kernel, whatever, as long as it's Debian) ???

Or should I just have followed the old proverb: "If you don't have anything
nice to say just don't"?

... All in good jest, my friend ...

Cheers
Oliver:D