Best Linux SYSLOG server.

Stephen Yorke-2
Heya all.

Long time since I have posted but going to start a project next week using SYSLOG and Python for some reporting.

What do you all classify the best SYSLOG server for Linux?

Thanks in advance,
-Stephen

Re: Best Linux SYSLOG server.

Rory-9
As usual, it depends :-)

rsyslog is the default in most distros and it is quite powerful. I've
used it as a central log server and also in scenarios where it 'fans
out' incoming logs to multiple downstream servers/collectors. There's a
bunch of functional and pattern matching features.

syslog-ng is also a swiss army knife, maybe even more than rsyslog but
I have, in the past, had problems with performance above 10,000
messages per second. YMMV

On Thu, 2020-05-21 at 20:50 -0300, Stephen Yorke wrote:

> Heya all.
>
> Long time since I have posted but going to start a project next week
> using SYSLOG and Python for some reporting.
>
> What do you all classify the best SYSLOG server for Linux?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Stephen

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Best Linux SYSLOG server.

Stephen Yorke-2
Rory,
Thanks for the response.
I will look into both but sounds like rsyslog may be the better option to start with. In my lab, I will not hit 10k messages a second though and most customers would be using some enterprise SYSLOG server implementation anyways.

Regards,
-Stephen