Anyone using neomutt with imap?

Oliver Doepner
Hi,

I want to switch from gmail web interface (slow) to something like this:

Does anyone have experience with (parts of) the described setup?

Thanks

Re: Anyone using neomutt with imap?

Joel Maxuel
Hi Oliver,

I was starting something with ALPINE, however since your link mentioned CardDAV, I am considering switching gears. :^)

I have been moving away from GMail in general - I use Evolution on my desktop (with a few of my current addresses) and similar accounts sync'ed via a Nextcloud plugin (which would require a web browser to access).

I would be interested in your progress - we could share tips as we go along.

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 10:28 PM Oliver Doepner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I want to switch from gmail web interface (slow) to something like this:

Does anyone have experience with (parts of) the described setup?

Thanks

Re: Anyone using neomutt with imap?

Oliver Doepner

ok cool. i will keep you posted, joel.

Re: Anyone using neomutt with imap?

George N. White III
On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 22:28, Oliver Doepner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I want to switch from gmail web interface (slow) to something like this:

Does anyone have experience with (parts of) the described setup?

Not yet, but working on that.   I was looking at that link on
the weekend, hoping to replace procmail+alpine
I have been using with Ubuntu as I set up fedora 30.

I haven't used mutt for years, in part because it wasn't being maintained.
Until I saw that link I wasn't aware of neomutt or msntp, but both are
available in distro packages on fedora 30. The mu indexing tool does
not appear to be available, but nomuch is, so I need to examine mu to
see if it has advantages over notmuch.

--
George N. White III

Re: Anyone using neomutt with imap?

Oliver Doepner
Some potentially interesting discussion:
https://mu-discuss.narkive.com/h8BZSTz6/notmuch-vs-mu

On 10/8/19, George N. White III <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 22:28, Oliver Doepner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to switch from gmail web interface (slow) to something like this:
>> https://webgefrickel.de/blog/a-modern-mutt-setup
>>
>> Does anyone have experience with (parts of) the described setup?
>>

> Not yet, but working on that.   I was looking at that link on
> the weekend, hoping to replace procmail+alpine
> I have been using with Ubuntu as I set up fedora 30.
>
> I haven't used mutt for years, in part because it wasn't being maintained.
> Until I saw that link I wasn't aware of neomutt or msntp, but both are
> available in distro packages on fedora 30. The mu indexing tool does
> not appear to be available, but nomuch is, so I need to examine mu to
> see if it has advantages over notmuch.
>
> --
> George N. White III

Oliver Doepner
http://odoepner.github.io/

Re: Anyone using neomutt with imap?

Thanks Oliver.

My intended target for this is a Pentium 4 laptop - a system that has some capacity for X apps, but life (and its 1GB RAM) would be easier to just live at the console.

I have been stripping down a previous install - dropping dbus (which seems to mean going back to sysvinit as well), removing any x login manager in favour of `startx` if need be, and probably a few other tweaks.

The result so far has been very positive in using less memory.  IIRC, I can now open Firefox in LXDE, over WiFi and open a page more complex than Midori can handle, all for under 224MB used (whereas before I would have been near the 1GB limit).

I will get into this at some point, however I also have been thinking of a Linux-from-scratch scenario to help weed out other dependencies. That part may not happen since keeping it up to date would become a huge hassle, but I may end up compromising with a very base Debian install and building up from there. Either case, my old homedir would be kept intact in so progress I make with neomutt can be transferrable.