An anniversary

Daniel MacKay-2
… thirty years ago yesterday, I brought up a permanent 19.2k tcp/ip line between Halifax and Montreal, and put Nova Scotia on the Internet.

Re: An anniversary

Richard Bonner

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020, Daniel MacKay wrote:

> ÿÿ thirty years ago yesterday, I brought up a permanent 19.2k tcp/ip
> line between Halifax and Montreal, and put Nova Scotia on the
> Internet.

***   Whoo Hoo! Thanks, Dan. It's turned out to be very useful.  (-:

  Richard Bonner

Re: An anniversary

Mike Spencer

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020, Daniel MacKay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> thirty years ago yesterday, I brought up a permanent 19.2k tcp/ip
> line between Halifax and Montreal, and put Nova Scotia on the
> Internet.

()()()()()!

Did Dal already have a Bitnet connection then?

Less than a year later, on 3 June 1991, you wrote:

> Well, a lot has happened in a shockingly short time.  In a month and a
> half, we have designed a lab network for the school [Parkview High,
> Bridgwater] , designed the Internet connection, spec'd the whole
> thing, ordered all the hardware, installed a LAN at Parkview,
> installed network hardware, ran an Internet connection in, set up
> Novell, configured applications, and begun training -- and since we
> wanted to get the project up ASAP, we've run through several
> connection styles and several applications in the last couple of
> weeks.  It should be nailed down for a while now.

That was when I was still using datapac or dialup to read email at
sba.dal.ca and athena.mit.edu.  In the same Old Mail archive I have a
note from Lana Wood on 7 Dec 93 that NSTN had a public "point of
presence" up and running in the Bridgewater local dial area.

I don't seem to have any email archived from before 1991 but I do have
one with a bang path return address. :-)

--
Michael Spencer                  Nova Scotia, Canada       .~.
                                                           /V\

Re: An anniversary

Daniel MacKay-2
Mike:

Did Dal already have a Bitnet connection then?

Yes, and yes. Bitnet was an always-up connection that while originally designed for Remote Job Entry could also be used to transmit mail and news (and files kind of like FTP.)  Universities in Canada participated were connected via a bitnet-style network called Net North.

Running NetNorth required frequent communication with all of your peers (by phone, when the email didn’t work) so we were in a good position to build the national TCP/IP network, CA*Net (put a maple leaf where the ass-terisk is there for the official logo.)

Less than a year later, on 3 June 1991, you wrote:

Indeed!  Official opening day for Parkview was May 15.

I’ve put together a few local internet history resources here including a Facebook photo album of that day.  If you’re not on FB but would really like to see the pics, let me know and I’ll put ‘em in a non FB album.

That was when I was still using datapac

Ah datapac!!! I have a beautiful beautiful old Northern Telecom DisplayPhone in my storage closet

… it was designed to work with Datapac - with literally one touch of a key it would dial, log in, turn on the printer issue the command to display your email, and log out after.

Such a beautiful design. Notice the keyboard disappears underneath.  The 80x24 screen doubles as a huge phone dialling directory.

 7 Dec 93 that NSTN had a public "point of
presence" up and running in the Bridgewater local dial area.

Yes - I wired that too of course. It wasn’t in the library; it was in the South Shore Regional Library headquarters in Wileville which I think was a repurposed gas station.

Daniel MacKay (any pronouns)
Bonmot Publishing
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada