Abstract for the presentation on Wed Sept 26th

Abstract for the presentation on Wed Sept 26th

Oliver Doepner
Hi all,

The topic for tomorrow is

"Agile Software Development using Debian laptop, Free/Open Source tools and free cloud services (github/travis/bintray)"

I am planning to show how I use those cloud services when I develop Open Source software.

The sample project is a Java based game (https://github.com/odoepner/bagh-chal). It does not really matter what it does, as it will serve more as an example for
  • a codebase on github that I can commit/push changes to
  • that triggers an automated build and test process on travis-ci
  • that results in an updated executable on bintray

My preferred tool for making the code changes is Intellij Community Edition, combined with OpenJDK Java 8 and the git command-line tools, on a laptop running Debian stable.

The intent is to give a glimpse at the kind of FLOSS tool-chain available today to Open Source software developers.

I am planning to demonstrate the full cycle of adding one feature to the game software, from creating the github issue, to writing a unit test to making the code changes, commit/push and then running the updated executable jar, hopefully by someone in the audience.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow night
Oliver